Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 101 uses for a mobile!

101 uses for a mobile!

In a fell race.

I just saw the requirement of carrying a mobile in the Edale Skyline race next March but I just can't imagine my O2 mobile being of any use what so ever though. I get one bar if I stand on one foot, on top of a stool in the kitchen at home, pretty much no signal anywhere else in the Dales, none in the Lakes, none in Snowdonia (the local shop in Bedgellart last time I was there was hiring orange mobiles to tourists ) and I don't hold up any hope for a signal in the Peak District.

So what possible use will my mobile have? Here's a few ideas:

1. The extra weight in my bum bag will make me exert more energy, thereby keeping me warmer by 0.00017895012 of a degree.

2. Should I break my leg on one of the tops, I can play Backgammon II to while away the time while waiting for mountain rescue

3. Or even use the mobile as a bit to bite on, while a kindly passer by resets the bone for me.

4. Pretend I'm on the phone when one of the marshalls trys to kit check me at the start having forgotten my wooly hat.

Or what else?

Re: 101 uses for a mobile!

Transfer to Vodaphone?
    Certainly gives me good coverage in most upland areas, particularly Scotland.
    I only have it because the wife reckons that it 'stops her from worrying about me'. I have pointed out that Amundsen went to the Pole without one and Hilary topped out on Everest without one. Do I really need one, when I'm just going to 'the end of the street'??

It seems disappointing but somewhat inevitable that we're expected to carry a mobile with us. One of the nice things about being out on the fells is to get away from the modern world for a few hours.

Guess I'll want to start looking for an ultralightweight mobile that I don't mind getting trashed by water (or worse- bog) penetration.

Not sure whether to enter this year as is the week before the Highlander MM and not sure how quickly I'd recover. Maybe the thought of carring a mobile will be just enough to put me off...
    First run then beer. If no run then proceed directly to beer.

FellMonster

I ve never been able to get a recption in the peak district using O2.......

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    In a fell race.

Or what else?
    5. 'Phone a friend' if you get lost?

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    I ve never been able to get a recption in the peak district using O2.......
    Im going to abuse you during the race via the medium of text

Quote Originally Posted by gyppo View Post
    It seems disappointing but somewhat inevitable that we're expected to carry a mobile with us. One of the nice things about being out on the fells is to get away from the modern world for a few hours.
    Yeah I agree and what about those people who still don't have mobiles? Presumably they won't be able to run? As it is I'm not sure I will be telling my employer what I intend to do (carrying their mobile). I can imagine popping into the office on the following Monday and explaining the good and bad news - 'it was minus 10 up there and I fell into a bog up to my neck - luckily I managed to crawl out, wrap myself in a survival blanket and survive. I'm not sure whether my mobile still works though as its caked in solidified bog slime '.
    Last edited by Stolly; 20-12-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    5. 'Phone a friend' if you get lost?
    throw it at the person in front of you knocking them out just for a short while therefore going up the field to a fantastic place even i think the term is called winning what ever that is
    I alas would have a very sore arm!
    Going to try again....

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    throw it at the person in front of you knocking them out just for a short while therefore going up the field to a fantastic place even i think the term is called winning what ever that is
    I alas would have a very sore arm!
    and your rivals would have VERY sore heads

it doesn't mention that it has to work! I'd take an old one with the battery removed!
    What a daft idea having mobile on the kit list. We should be trying to get people to look after themselves and make their own decisions whether they should get off the hill if the weather is bad. Instead what might happen is folk push on because they know that safety is only a call away!