Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: 101 uses for a mobile!

Re: 101 uses for a mobile!

Race organisers have an easier time if they can phone a mobile to find out that the runner that retired and didn't tell anyone is safely down and enjoyin a pint in a pub somewhere
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills

Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Race organisers have an easier time if they can phone a mobile to find out that the runner that retired and didn't tell anyone is safely down and enjoyin a pint in a pub somewhere
    You do not need to carry a mobile phone during the race for this requirement.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

thats true........
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills

I was under the impression that you COULD dial 999 if you didn't have your network coverage but were near other signals; the last three mobiles I've owned over the last six years or so read "Emergency Calls Only" or "Limited Coverage" when there is no o2 (for sake of argument) signal but there is other signal (rather than "No network" or something for when you really are out in the middle of nowhere) and allow you to dial 999, 112, 911, and possibly some others too.

Two of the three have nothing but a 'dial SOS' button if there's no SIM card in.

All these bizarre links saying that you can't dial 999 without network coverage are, as far as I am aware, incorrect or massively out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by steve456 View Post
    All these bizarre links saying that you can't dial 999 without network coverage are, as far as I am aware, incorrect or massively out of date.
    this is a vaguely interesting point so I found this on tinterweb:

This isn't quite correct.

Whilst the GSM spec allows for network locked phones to roam onto other networks for emergency calls, the UK networks do not allow it - they have no GSM roaming agreements between UK networks - so if you're out of coverage from your provider, you cannot roam onto another UK network to make calls, emergency or otherwise.

Again, whilst the GSM spec allows handsets to make emergency calls without a SIM, UK networks do not allow it.

The simple story is that to make an emergency call in the UK you require:

a.) An enabled and active SIM from network 'X'
    b.) A handset which can normally make calls on network 'X' (ie. isn't locked out from that network)
    c.) Network coverage from network 'X' at current location.

If any of those requirements aren't met, then you cannot make an emergency call (or a normal call either). Again, the GSM spec does allow this to happen without any or all of these, but the network can decide whether they want to allow it, and in the UK, they haven't.

The handset may think it can make emergency calls (ie. "Emergency calls only" but when the user would try to make that call, they wouldn't be successful (in the UK).

So, if you set fire to yourself, don't think you can call a Lifeboat out to Mermaid's Pool
    the older I get, the better I was

Had a mooch round 1st half of skyline at the weekend. Imagine my surprise when I got a text message coming up to Mam tor (I was using the tracker on the mobile) Usually zero coverage in Edale with T-Mobile, perhaps if you're in sight of Castleton you can get through.

BTW Someone was playing helicopters in a big way, looked like police, air ambulance and air sea.

Sorry to but in! My husband regularly goes with his amatuer radio group to ensure the safety of others on triathalons, cycle races etc. Fellrunnig events (if not already) could be covered the same way and the mobile phones would not need to be compulsory. The PLB issue if successful is more for the solitary person as a last resort.

The Amatuer Radio Group takes a small donation to help their running costs. They have a mobile base station usually in the venue carpark and strategically placed mobile units. If an accident happens they radio for assistance to base. This is more suitable for events like these.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtastic View Post
    Had a mooch round 1st half of skyline
    BTW Someone was playing helicopters in a big way, looked like ... and air sea.
    Was it that wet in the Edale valley that air sea rescue were required?
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

I was planning to enter the Skyline this year (done it a few times before) but I don't have a mobile so am ruled out. Guess I'll find another race or run round Edale and watch.
    One of my pal's has mobile with camera. I can imagine him being able to get away with taking pictures of attractive rear ends and e mailing these to non running mates ("look at what I'm following") as an incentive for them to take the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by TANGO View Post
    attractive rear ends
    On the skyline?