Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Graham Route Choices

Re: Bob Graham Route Choices

Laurence Ormerod set off at midnight last night on a clockwise attempt and after a damp first 2 legs he was looking good in improving conditions from Dunmail being pretty much on a 24 hr schedule. Apparently the Caldew was nearly impossible to cross - walking poles were necessary.

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Laurence Ormerod set off at midnight last night on a clockwise attempt and after a damp first 2 legs he was looking good in improving conditions from Dunmail being pretty much on a 24 hr schedule. Apparently the Caldew was nearly impossible to cross - walking poles were necessary.
    If you go down W of the sheepfold - ie down the nose then S through heather, there is a pipe you can use as a bridge that crosses the river at the point the two branches of the caldew separate

Sounds like time to try my skiddaw house variant - you cross on a bridge!
    Still waiting for someone else to time that route.

Sounds like time to try my skiddaw house variant - you cross on a bridge!
    Still waiting for someone else to time that route.
    Looks like it'll be me on Tuesday, it'll be "onsight" though I hope its easy to follow in the dark

Bill

Sorry this is not a route choice subject but, does anyone have any photos from Sat 23d June (BG day). Someone (unfortunately not my support team) took my photo at Dunmail (I had a blue HH top, or a blue jacket, on and Black KIMM tights). If you can get hold of it, could you please forward it on it would be very much appreciated. Or fiailing that any other photos of the day Cheers Alan.
    [email protected]

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Looks like it'll be me on Tuesday, it'll be "onsight" though I hope its easy to follow in the dark

Bill
    No problems.

The only issues are-

The last 200-300m of the descent from a really fast track is on good trods, but the heather has grown in over the sides of the trod - so they look less substantial than they are.

Once you have crossed the valley, dont be tempted to climb up too soon: you dont want to have to drop into the stream gulleys - you will see what I mean from the map.

Are you going round on tuesday?

[quote=Chas;45823]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    Want to start do some recces through the rest of summer and into next winter.

A couple of questions which have partly been covered before but I'm still not sure of the general consensus;

iv) Robinson -so the accepted route is to follow the ridge all the way down to High Snab farm? Is it not worth dropping down earlier, just after the rocky step?

see http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Polylin...3ydgqys61_down off Robinson____#0000FF_008000_2pt_Single_Solid_t2qvy3 gqy2zj&encType=1
    Thank you that avoids the rock steps good line

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    No problems.

The only issues are-

The last 200-300m of the descent from a really fast track is on good trods, but the heather has grown in over the sides of the trod - so they look less substantial than they are.

Once you have crossed the valley, dont be tempted to climb up too soon: you dont want to have to drop into the stream gulleys - you will see what I mean from the map.

Are you going round on tuesday?
    Thanks for that, I may jog round from Latrigg car park on Monday just to get an idea of where it goes.

Need to check Threlkeld to Newsham and the way out of Keswick across fitz park

Yes we're going round on Tuesday.

Bill

Recced this today, I've found a line here that goes a bit higher that I'll use on Tuesday that ends up traversing into Roughten gill from the sheepfold in Sinen gill I'll stick with that for now no more time left

Bill

Don't worry Baggins, you wouldn't be the first forumite to go wrong before you were even in Fitz Park
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

A couple of lads from our club did an unsupported round a couple of weeks ago and did exactly that... couldn't find their way to Fitz park from the car park! What a way to start...