Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Graham Route Choices

Re: Bob Graham Route Choices

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Beer View Post
    On section 3, we struggled to find any proper trods traversing from Rosset Pike up to Bow Fell.
    Oh, it's there. I think someone posted a photo on here some time ago...there are two slanting "shelves" which you can see quite clearly from Rosset Pike. I think I went up and along the higher one and then picked up the trod. It was even cairned in places I did lose it near the top and, I think, headed up too early, came up short of the summit but it was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Beer View Post
    Very sad news about the gentleman falling from Broad Stand.
    When did that happen? We were heading up Wythburn and the Bog to Greenup Edge yesterday and noticed that there were a couple of helicopters seemingly very busy
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

This is the libe up Bowfell, wit minor variations...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    Oh, it's there. I think someone posted a photo on here some time ago...there are two slanting "shelves" which you can see quite clearly from Rosset Pike. I think I went up and along the higher one and then picked up the trod. It was even cairned in places I did lose it near the top and, I think, headed up too early, came up short of the summit but it was ok.

When did that happen? We were heading up Wythburn and the Bog to Greenup Edge yesterday and noticed that there were a couple of helicopters seemingly very busy
    The 2 slanting shelves come up to a flat area near the top of a steep gully abot 3-4 mins short on the summit.

Local radio report today said he fell 30ft on scree, so not sure if it was Broad Stand.
    Last edited by Aardvark; 18-02-2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Haven't got the hang of quotes

All info here:

http://www.wasdale-mountain-rescue.o...louts~2008.htm

I was on scafell pike (OTC recce) on saturday not long before this but I didn't see/hear anything.

Broad stand was mostly in the shade and therefore I imagine covered in ice

Was up there at the weekend and Broad Stand was completely dry and no ice.

alwaysinjured

STEEL FELL ....direct

I have always wondered what would happen taking a direct line up steel fell.
    Instead of going up on the standard line and turning left at the top.

For sure, this would be tough on a round later in the year, because of bracken

I was presently surprised.
    There are a couple of bands of deep scree...but if you are willing to look around for good lines to cross, most of the way up is no worse than the ordinary route, and on average it isnt as steep.

You end up going up to the top two gullies down beyond a band of rock you can see from the road.

I reckon it saved a couple of minutes.- it should, it is a fair bit shorter.
    Id hazard a guess that Billy went that way on his "wee walk"

Confirmed what I always thought was true..but never dared to try....the deep puddle near the fence part way down of steel fell. It aint got a bottom!!! ...least ways, my legs are not long enough to find it.

Good day out on leg3 today.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 20-03-2008 at 01:45 AM.

alwaysinjured

GREAT DODD DIRECT

Ive always fancied straightlining from clough head to great dodd.

It drops several hundred feet more but is a lot shorter.

Tried it today, and presently surprised....

Lovely spongy run down. and the view of great dodd is deceptive, it is not nearly as steep as it looks from clough head, and is a very easy gradient up.

Time wise? Very similar... probably not much in it... but very pleasant, and I am guessing that for someone whose strong suit is climbing not running it would be faster too.

Hi alwaysinjured ! nice name !!

I am planning a go at the BG either late May mid June and would appreciate any help and or advice you can throw my way, im obviously intrested in cutting time, but also any information you think relevant will be gratefully recieved. have you any recce plans over the next month/six weeks ? would welcome a hook up if you dont mind ?

Craig.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    GREAT DODD DIRECT

Ive always fancied straightlining from clough head to great dodd.

It drops several hundred feet more but is a lot shorter.

Tried it today, and presently surprised....

Lovely spongy run down. and the view of great dodd is deceptive, it is not nearly as steep as it looks from clough head, and is a very easy gradient up.

Time wise? Very similar... probably not much in it... but very pleasant, and I am guessing that for someone whose strong suit is climbing not running it would be faster too.
    I looked at this last time i was there and wondered , hmmm should we try it
    I always look at direct routes, perhaps i should mention this to marvin.
    cheers

I tried this before deciding against it. You need to save your climbing legs for later. I too found that the time saving was very slight but the effort level was considerably more. I did take a course just inside the main path during my actual round but it was little more than corner cutting.

A few hundred extra feet of climb will take more out of you than the extra distance for sure

ST