Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Winter BG

Re: Winter BG

If any of you would like to read Simon's detailed account of his round on the Clayton Harriers Website I think you will realise that you can also get winter conditions in the 4 week window around the shortest day. Having said that his summer round felt like winter too!
    Not sure how to do the link thing to make it easier for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    If any of you would like to read Simon's detailed account of his round on the Clayton Harriers Website I think you will realise that you can also get winter conditions in the 4 week window around the shortest day. Having said that his summer round felt like winter too!
    Not sure how to do the link thing to make it easier for you.
    http://www.clayton-le-moors-harriers...er_BG_2007.pdf

That should do it

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    you will realise that you can also get winter conditions in the 4 week window around the shortest day
    I know that

My problem with the 4 week window is it does not allow people to do a winter round in Feb when conditions could be more wintery.

I think any time from Dec to Feb should be classed as a winter round, if your lucky with the weather so what.

The winter conditions is a separate and very fleeting thing in the lakes these days
    I would say what "I" would class as winter conditions we've only had a few days of this winter,a light dusting of snow doesn't count
    Bill

Thumbs up Re: Winter BG

Quote Originally Posted by FellShoeShuffler View Post
    Thanks Shuffler, good read.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    I know that

My problem with the 4 week window is it does not allow people to do a winter round in Feb when conditions could be more wintery.

I think any time from Dec to Feb should be classed as a winter round, if your lucky with the weather so what.
    What was Martin Morans definition? When he did the munro's in winter?

I think it was from the winter solstice (Dec 21) to the spring equinox (March 21). I think anytime from Dec-March is winter. You can't compare winter rounds anyway, OK it's darker in december, but there may not be snow, may be a full moon. The weather is so fickle and there are so many other factors that I think it should be quite broad, and people just record the lunar, meterological and underfoot conditions, and that's it.

Just to pick up on Garry's message of 6 March.

The number of enquiries about Winter BG's is increasing.

The topic will be on the agenda at the next BG committee meeting later this year.

I have assembled a variety of views ranging from the very narrow definition held by Martin Stone to others that are more flexible.

I think it likely that there will be no "Rules" set down but instead perhaps a page added to the BG website on which I can outline the various schools of thought that are out there.

At the same time I am trying to get the Winter data up to date. With the increasing number of Winter rounds, the best answer may well be to shift the completed Winter Rounds list from the "Records" page and establish a separate list of winter completions.

As ever, its fascinating to hear what people think!

Garry, I asume you have got your paperwork in to Brian?

Cheers.

Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Just to pick up on Garry's message of 6 March.

The number of enquiries about Winter BG's is increasing.

The topic will be on the agenda at the next BG committee meeting later this year.

I have assembled a variety of views ranging from the very narrow definition held by Martin Stone to others that are more flexible.

I think it likely that there will be no "Rules" set down but instead perhaps a page added to the BG website on which I can outline the various schools of thought that are out there.

At the same time I am trying to get the Winter data up to date. With the increasing number of Winter rounds, the best answer may well be to shift the completed Winter Rounds list from the "Records" page and establish a separate list of winter completions.

As ever, its fascinating to hear what people think!

Garry, I asume you have got your paperwork in to Brian?

Cheers.

Morgan
    Yes, I hand delivered all our time sheets to his house (at least I think it was his house!) about a week ago. Do you recieve any confirmation from the club on receipt of the time sheets?

Cheers,
    Garry

There were some awesome winter conditons around Helvellyn last weekend (knee deep in snow at times) none the less it was definitely the height of spring! The weather doesnt seem to respect our definitions of when winter is.

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by wightplodder View Post
    There were some awesome winter conditons around Helvellyn last weekend (knee deep in snow at times) none the less it was definitely the height of spring! The weather doesnt seem to respect our definitions of when winter is.
    Were you one of the guys going up, as I came down to dunmail???

It was seriously cold, and I was postholing in the snow at times.

Yet in edale, it was tropical

And on wednesday had a great day on the coniston fells - the weather can be so variable!!
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 05-04-2008 at 02:14 AM.

I was coming down to Dunmail on Sunday afternoon about 1600. Only saw one runner on top of Helvellyn an hour or so earlier but it was a gorgeous day-cold but sunny and clear.