Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakeland Classics Trophy

Re: Lakeland Classics Trophy

"First time to complete" although there may be better ways

George

Have you thought of having a handicap system - so the "most improved" person wins. Means everyone has equal chance of winning. Bit harder obviously to organise though...

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Have you thought of having a handicap system - so the "most improved" person wins. Means everyone has equal chance of winning. Bit harder obviously to organise though...
    Thank you. Any idea will be considered: that is why I asked the question.

It actually would be easy to eg calculate the most improved runner from one year to the next because all the data is computer based.

Incidentally in my report for the next Fellrunner I mention Pete Vale (Mercia) in particular because he has been runner-up for the last three years despite increasing his points total each time. Still only gets one mug though.

Graham - it would be nice to get a mug for completion of the whole series. I've finally managed it after several years of trying but I've no illusions that I'll ever be good enought to win one of the categories.

Thank you.

Well we have thought about that from time to time and in summary.

The LCT was set up to ensure the survival of Wasdale etc. It was not designed to be an end in itself. Brian and I were particularly concerned NOT to set up a "rival" English Champ with lots of prizes etc. You may laugh but there were more competitors in the 6 LCT races in 2007 than in the 6 British Champ counters.

The LCT presents its awards at the FRA "Do" which is really about the English and British Champs. I am allowed to present the prizes there through the kindess of Jon Broxap etc. However the understanding is that my spot is short and sweet as an entr'acte between the major award presentations. If I go on too long a big hook comes out of the side curtain.

And prosaically, since we have never had any sponsorship but just the occasional cheque from three of the race organisers, Brian and I have always underwritten the costs and I think we were reluctant at the outset to commit to an open ended expenditure of £100s each in perpetuity.

However, to repeat, with PBS sponsoring the LCT we are now reviewing what we do afresh so thank you for your comment.

Incidentally, for the first time the full results table wil be published in the next The Fellrunner.

(Yup! That was the summary!)
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-01-2008 at 12:24 PM.

It hasn't finished yet, but just thought I'd say thanks to the people who organise and thought of this as it's such a great thing to be a part of.

It was my aim this year to complete it and, if I understand its rules correctly, I have done now (with more to come!).

The races I've done as part of it have been amazing and have provided some unbelievable memories.

Long may it continue!
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    It hasn't finished yet, but just thought I'd say thanks to the people who organise and thought of this as it's such a great thing to be a part of.

It was my aim this year to complete it and, if I understand its rules correctly, I have done now (with more to come!).

The races I've done as part of it have been amazing and have provided some unbelievable memories.

Long may it continue!

For my part-thank you.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post

Long may it continue!
    You have indeed done the required number of races, LFF, with one still to come.
    And I can reveal that you are in fact a place above Ricky Lightfoot in the table !! :wink: Though admittedly he hasn't done his third race yet !
    Brett will be posting the updated table soon.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Bill - as you are now one of the supremos for the Lakes Classics - do you how many of the pottery mugs are being awarded this year? I seem to recall it was a little more generous last year.., Cheers, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by compo View Post
    Bill - as you are now one of the supremos for the Lakes Classics - do you how many of the pottery mugs are being awarded this year? I seem to recall it was a little more generous last year.., Cheers, Tom
    I'm more the Results Monkey than a supremo. The Noor is the "supremo in charge of pottery mugs".
    I do believe though that the number of mugs will be similar to last year.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"