Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Highland Crossing

The Highland Crossing

Just got back from a 3 day crossing of the Highlands. This was an amazing route which felt very, very committing but all the more fulfilling for that. Did it solo unsupported with what was a heavy sack to start with (12 kg) so no running as such. Caught the train to Fort William, had a fill up of dstodge and fat at Nicos on the High Street and then set off at 5.15 pm. In brief its about 105 miles, 33,000 feet and includes Ben Nevis, Carn Mor Dearg, Aonach Mor, Aonach Beag, Sgurr Choinneach Beag and Mor, Grey Corries including last top, to Leacach Bothy. Arrived 4.52 am, then set off again at 6.39 am over Easains to Loch Treig Dam, then Sgriodain, Chno Deag and down to strath Ossian, up Beinn Eibheinn, Aonach Beag, Geal Charn, Carn Dearg and down to Culra which I reached at 8.24 pm. Got up at 2.30, set off at 3.25 am for Dalwhinnie where it was -8 degrees. Carried on to Meall Chuaich and Bogha ? to Gaick, then over rough ground to Pt 912 and on to Carn Dearg Mor, before dropping don to Glen Feshie bothy reached at 5.25 pm. It was absolutely Baltic there. Couldn't get the fire going. Set off again at 1am after getting up at midnight to try to beat the incoming front. Fantastic night over the Cairngorms. Went over Mullach Clach a Bhlair and Moine Mor to Cairn Toul, then Angels Peak and Braeriach. Entered mist whilst still dark with snow on top which felt committing. Descended very steep bone hard snow requiring backclimbing to Lairig Ghru. True Scottish mank had set in by then and required a bit of faith to set off up Ben Macdui. Windy and almost white out on top. Very difficult navigation across plateau to Cairngorm in near white out conditions. Reached Cairngorm at 12.30 pm and walked down to Aviemore from there, reached at 4.28 pm.

I'll post up pics and more details later. That was an outing of a lifetime.

Re: The Highland Crossing

Nice one John. Sounds like most of your route followed the line of the Scottish Haute Route originally done on skis.

Fellhound

Tree mendous John! Fantastic route!

Wow, sounds a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    That was an outing of a lifetime.
    Must have been very special indeed.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Very well done - enjoy Christmas.

Just read your post, sounds like an epic journey, you can't beat Scotland for wild! - did you pass many many folk? I expect not... and where the conditions and weather good (apart from on the Cairngorm)?

Got to get the presents down the chimney now...

Have your self a happy and restfull Christmas - you'll need two turkeys after doing that!

Thumbs up Re: The Highland Crossing

Well done John bet there were no leftovers in your house yesterday

Looking forward to the write up always find them inspiring.

Bill

actually, I made sure that I took and ate plenty of food this time. Even consumed a whole Christmas cake. I was glad of those Kahtoola crampons - needed a full crampon on the icy snow.

Are you still on for the langdale tomorrow night? Not sure I'll be up for it but just might be.

Yes its still on John, I'm sure we can cut it short if its too far for you

Bill

Pictures up at: http://johnfleetwood.smugmug.com/gallery/4044449

The best bits are, of course in the night, of which I have no pictures. Moonlight on snow takes some beating but I'm afraid I have no pictures of the ben - Grey Corries at night, the beinn eibhinn - carn dearg ridge at night, or the Cairngorms at night so these will have to do. Also I declined to take any pictures in the blowing snow in the Cairngorms - I was concentrating more on navigating.

Measured it accurately now - 107.8 miles, 34,500 feet.