Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Highland Crossing

Re: The Highland Crossing

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    If we get rid of epics such as this, we might as well send BGR reports to The Great Outdoors, too.
    Well, now you mention it....

I personally have zero interest in the Bob Graham Round and as ChrisU once put it, I don't get this fascination with a random list of 42 tops in the Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Foreigner View Post

I personally have zero interest in the Bob Graham Round and as ChrisU once put it, I don't get this fascination with a random list of 42 tops in the Lakes.
    Fair enough, but that doesn't stop it from being an acknowledged cornerstone of the fell runners repertoire. Remember, this is the Fell RUNNERS Association, NOT the fell racers association so it encompasses anything that falls under that description, which the BGR and the Highland Traverse both most certainly do. Do you want a club just for fell racing? If so, start one (with its very own magazine to boot.)

Furthermore, surely the more esoteric something is (like 42 random tops in the Lakes) the more mystery and fascination surround it. Wasdale, Borrowdale, Langdale, as races, all have an obvious point but the BGR and other "pointless" epics are epic precisely because they DON'T have a point...instead, they have mystique. It's the fact that they're nothing more and nothing less than a challenge laid down by one man's imagination that makes them so appealing (or at least to me.) Racing is simply a matter of following in someone else's footsteps; the great esoteric rounds break new ground almost every year (50 at 50, 60 at 60, etc.)

Lest you think otherwise, I have no objection to your individual view of fell running at all and if racing only is what does it for you, fair enough. But like I said, that isn't the sole concern of the FRA and it's wrong to suggest the bits of fell running that don't float your individual boat should be taken elsewhere.

Don't look or post in the long distance challenge forum then, problem solved

Or are you doing a bit of trolling

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Don't look or post in the long distance challenge forum then, problem solved
    At the risk of repeating myself....

I wasn't talking about the forum.

Master

Fantastic feat John, but how about sending your write-up to The Great Outdoors magazine instead? I'm sorry, but for me this isn't what fellrunning is about.
    My Two-pennorth for what its worh, i have done the TGO challenge (i.e west to east coast of Scotland for those that don`t know) a few times and stopped doing it simply because they would not allow folk to run it and complete in a few days, so i guess as has been pointed out there is not the interest there in that readership.

But as is obvious there is a lot of interest here on the FRA forum.

So Yep well done John keep the reports coming
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    But as is obvious there is a lot of interest here on the FRA forum.
    One more time....

I wasn't talking about the forum.
    Is it all this slow plodding that does you lot's neurones in?

So Yep well done John
    Thank you.

Johnny F. If your 'beef' is with what appears in the 'mag', then write a letter to the editor; instead of continually repeating yourself on a forum that you acknowledge as being ok.

... and getting back to John Fleetwood's outing... Well done John!
    I love the way FMA picks these bold natural lines through the hills and just sets off with minimal publicity.

I guess my earlier comment about the BGR fascination is a reaction against the blinkered, almost religious following of one man's exploratory walk/run through the Lakes.
    If anyone really wanted to follow in the spiritual footsteps of Bob Graham, then they should go out and think up their own long walk/run like he did, rather than being motivated by getting their name on a list.

Master

One more time....

Is it all this slow plodding that does you lot's neurones in?

Thank you.

It probably has more to do with using the brain working out logistics and routes, rather than following pre - set routes and constantly repeating ones self and covering the same ground.

Surely to most folk that read these forums fell running is just that and encompasses all aspects of running on terrain that is above sea level.

As such it does`nt really matter whether a post is about a race or another persons challenge, it is still relative and of interest to somebody and as has already been said if it does not interest you then don`t read it.
    Last edited by JohnK; 04-01-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Master

Slight cross post with ChrisU there, who`s comments i agree with 100%