Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: preparation for BG.

Master

preparation for BG.

I know this is an age old forum subject but I guess any snippets from wise men and women out there (and this forum seems to contain quite a few!) are helpful in just giving that edge for success. I am going for my second attempt on June 14th although I might do an evening start this time on the Friday night as oppossed to the early morning 2am start of last year. But could do with advice on build up. Particularly as I am thinking of entering the Fellsman on 10th May. Is this wise or is it considered too far to then recover for BG a month later/

I guess psychologically the completion of the Fellsman means you've gained that time on your legs experience!

What might be a good alternative a month in advance?

Re: preparation for BG.

I'll be interested in the answer to this too.

I was thinking of the Fellsman, but perhaps turning against it for that very reason.

Alternatives? The Old County Tops race 17 May. Not such a long distance that you'll take too long to recover....and a fair bit of "familiar" terrain taken in.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

For full physical recovery I usually work on the formula of one day's rest for each hour out - i.e. if you take 21 hours to do the Fellsman you should have fully recovered within 3 weeks - but this, of course, all depends on what you do during those 3 weeks! Some runners seem to recover much quicker than this.

Re what time of day to start:-
    l had a couple of unsuccessful attempts starting at 2am and a couple starting in the early evening. Neither starting time suited me. When I tried a breakfast time start (going clokwise) everything felt so much better. Presumably this was because I had just had a night's sleep/rest. Again this is personal preference so go with what suits you best.

Personally I'd look at the last three to four weeks being tapering exercise with the month prior to that being as hard as you can stand without introducing injuries. I think that entering a long distance race may "encourage" you to put too much effort in.

Re time to start - Sounds like you are attempting the clockwise round. Base this on two factors:
    1. You need to find the terrain on which you lose least time in the dark - for most this seems to be the section in the back o' Skiddaw. It's not fast ground anyway and the darkness doesn't seem to make that much difference.
    2. Your personal body clock. Starts around midnight mean that you are likely to have been up for fifteen hours already which will need factoring into your schedule.
    I started my round at midnight and Ali started an hour later (both clockwise) and he got Hall's Fell Ridge in the first of the morning light. Doing this in the dark and drizzle cost me about 20 minutes. Chas's 8am start does mean that you get a decent night's sleep but then you are doing the section round Wasdale in the dark so you miss all the nice views.

Its not long, but you could be OK. This year I did the West Highland Way Race (95 miles) on the 23rd of June and the Paddy Buckley, 6 weeks later. I'd say I was just recovered. I did one 6 hr run 2 weeks before my PB to check how I felt then went for it.

Re start time. I thought about a mid morning start after a good nights sleep, but in the end started at 6 ish, that gave me a few hours in the light to get going and then I had the dark while relatively fresh. I seemed to work well.

Hi Corniceman
    I successfully completed a BG on exactly what you are suggesting. Started specific BG training in January 06, building up to a weeks BG recce/ training early April, culminating in doing legs 1 & 2 together, then fellsman in May and the BG 30th June. My fell running mentor/ guru suggested a 22.00 clockwise start (it took him 4 attempts so I truly listened to his advice). The thinking was that leg 1 is quite easy to navigate in the dark as is leg 2 which from around 03.00 ish torches were not required.
    Hope this helps you decide what best suits you and good luck for the BG. Enjoy the journey leading up to your attempt as I have and will for the rest of my life.
    If you wish I could you bore you more by sending you a copy of my attempt, guaranteed to send you to soundly to the land of nod.

I did the Old Counties Tops last year 5 weeks before my BG, and it seemed to fit in perfectly. I don't know about the Fellsman, but I don't see why it should be a problem.

Good luck!

It is probably better to tackle the OCT or just recce some BGR legs to get the time on your feet and the climbing in your legs.

I think it is better to spend the time in the Lakes on the route, preferably, and, more significantly, on the terrain rather than in the Dales where the ground is quite different. Parts of The Fellsman need a recce and that time would also be better spent in the Lakes.

Good luck.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by FellShoeShuffler View Post
    It is probably better to tackle the OCT or just recce some BGR legs to get the time on your feet and the climbing in your legs.

I think it is better to spend the time in the Lakes on the route, preferably, and, more significantly, on the terrain rather than in the Dales where the ground is quite different. Parts of The Fellsman need a recce and that time would also be better spent in the Lakes.

Good luck.
    i think i will spend time on the BG route, this is good advice fellshoeshuffler