Thread: Bradfield Boundary

Bradfield Boundary

Just got out of the bath after a wet day on the hill.

18 runners from Dark Peak, Penistone and Totley set off this morning at 6.00am on a cold clear windy start to run the annual Bradfield Boundary Run. We had a glorious sunrise on Broomhead Trig before pushing on to the traditional Bacon Sandwich at Langsett. The run up the Little Don was clear and Breezy but once we got on to Howden Edge via Near Cat Clough the going became very tough. Running(Walking) directly in to extremely strong winds whilst pulling our feet out of various wet bogs sapped the legs and ran the clock down.
    From Swaines Head we were able get out of the wind and bash across the heather and down in to West End in the Derwent Valley. 26 mile down in 6 hours meant we were behind schedual by approx 45 minutes then it started to rain.
    By the time we left Fairholmes and started the Climb up to Back tor the horizon was looking distinctly grey!
    The group had now started to split up with a faster group determined to claw back the time. By the time we reached Moscar rain had become torrential, (for those that were there I would say it was alot worse than the second downpour on Tankies.)
    Walking up Stanage Edge with the rain and occasional Sleat blowing up and over the edge straight in to our faces was awful.
    We got back most of the time but still had to put in a big effort to come in under the 12 hour limit
    We waded across the River Loxley with 18 minutes and 2 miles to go before 10 weary runners touched the Loxley School sign with 3.30 to spare.
    the other 6 ran in about 35 minutes later.

The Garmin gave the distance as 47.6 miles and 5,500ft

A big thank you to Dave H for organising the run again and to John S's support team.

I'm off for a beer now
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 29-12-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Bradfield Boundary

yeah, it looked a bit grim at times. I was looking at it on my laptop in Marrakech, but the sun was reflecting off the screen too much to see who was there. A great result tho. Are you in a team for the watershed? It's time I stepped my training up for it as I've done bugger all since the Round Rotherham
    the older I get, the better I was

Re: Bradfield Boundary

Wow, that sounds like an "epic", especially at this time of year. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by skyline View Post
    yeah, it looked a bit grim at times. I was looking at it on my laptop in Marrakech, but the sun was reflecting off the screen too much to see who was there. A great result tho. Are you in a team for the watershed? It's time I stepped my training up for it as I've done bugger all since the Round Rotherham
    Hi Skyline

I bet the weather is better where you are.

No I didn't get in but I'm trying to keep the weekend free in case anyone needs a 'competant' replacement at short notice. please...

Also does anyone know of songs written about paticular runs/races, this one is written about the BBR by the BB Blues BandHappy Man

It doesn't always work, but try it,

Well done IDP on a successful completion of the BBR.

Did you get the e-versions of the Kinder Dozen and Kinder Killer I sent?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Well done IDP on a successful completion of the BBR.

Did you get the e-versions of the Kinder Dozen and Kinder Killer I sent?
    Yes Marvin
    Thanks for that, I've other routes of a similar style if you want them as well.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Yes Marvin
    Thanks for that, I've other routes of a similar style if you want them as well.
    Ian
    Maybe I'd better do those two first!