Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fell shoe dilemma!

Fell shoe dilemma!

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and to fell running and would really appreciate your advice...

I bought a pair of Innov8 mudrocs 6 months ago when I started (I had them properly fitted in Up and Running Hyde). I enjoyed the grip they gave me but they blistered my heels badly. I tried steaming the heels to no avail and gave up on them after 3 runs.

I bought a pair of Mizuno Wave Harriers, the heel is softer and they're comfortable even on 2/3 hour runs... BUT they're not as secure as the Innov8's, particulary on wet rock.

I'm entering my first fell races this year and want to get my footwear sorted!

Is there a shoe that could give me the comfort of the Mizuno's with the grip of the Innov8's? I've looked at Walshes but they seem to have a stiff heel similar to the innov8's?!

Many thanks!

Re: Fell shoe dilemma!

I think that this is pot luck and must depend on the shape of your feet or something. I got on great with Innov8's - no blisters at all but, to be fair, I tended to wear them casually (gardening and whatnot) for a couple of months whilst wearing out their predecessors and that may have softened them.

I have just got some new Walshes and love them to bits. These I ran on the fells with straight from the box and they are just perfect. Great grip too (apart from on wet wooden styles when they turn into ice skates ).

I had them fitted too - even though my feet are size 8, my Walshes are 9's.

You could try duct tape on your heels. It's worked for me on black walshes which otherwisw be givig me aggro.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nickc View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm entering my first fell races this year and want to get my footwear sorted!

Is there a shoe that could give me the comfort of the Mizuno's with the grip of the Innov8's? I've looked at Walshes but they seem to have a stiff heel similar to the innov8's?!

Many thanks!
    Montrail Highlander fit the bill. An excellent shoe for comfort and grip just let down by the fact they are very slow drying and do hold water in the padding.

There are no perfect shoe's. You just need to find the ones that suit you and the terrain your racing over.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    I've not tried duct tape so might have to give the inov8s one last go yet
    The Montrail highlanders look like an interesting option though.. cheers.

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Nickc,

I also had similar problems with these shoes but eventually tried tying them different. If i tied them as advised (i.e. lace lock method) this pulled the back of the shoe to tight and caused the problems, after resorting to loser laces tied in the 'normal' manner all my symptoms resolved themselves, worked for me! The problem with this method is a loser shoe which feels like it slips a little on your foot especially when traversing so be careful.

Good Luck

Gaz

I started off with Mudclaws, and on my first 10m race out of the box they were fine. Infact they were great for 4 or 5 races and then one day I blistered badly despite have duct taped my feet (for my ankle, not the sole). From that day on I blistered the same place every time out. I bought some Walsh PB Ultras and they were fine on short races but anything long with wet feet, blistered again. Then some good advice, see here, zinc oxide tape, I now tape for anything over about 4 miles when I know my feet will be wet or anything long, 10 miles or more just in case. No blisters since with either the Innov8's or the Walshes.

Can you get in from Boots? My Mudclaws bit my right heel yesterday but I think it was because it was laced too loosly but I may try tapping as well.

Thanks for the link jimbob... ouch!...reminds me of the blisters I used to get with mountaineering boots. I'm gonna give the inov8's one more chance with some zinc oxide tape and Gaz's fancy lacing tip!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    I started off with Mudclaws, and on my first 10m race out of the box they were fine. Infact they were great for 4 or 5 races and then one day I blistered badly despite have duct taped my feet (for my ankle, not the sole). From that day on I blistered the same place every time out. I bought some Walsh PB Ultras and they were fine on short races but anything long with wet feet, blistered again. Then some good advice, see here, zinc oxide tape, I now tape for anything over about 4 miles when I know my feet will be wet or anything long, 10 miles or more just in case. No blisters since with either the Innov8's or the Walshes.
    My feet blistered like that from some of the earlier Inov8's. If you take the insole out the shoe then you can see why your feet have blistered in that position, part of the insole will have fallen out, I did both feet like that. But it's not happened in any of the newer models.