Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B.G.

Question B.G.

Hands up how many completed the B.G. with no fell racing experience of any kind, and no more than a years training for the attempt?

rs2315.

Re: B.G.

Me - I came from a general mountaineering background and no running experience. 6 weeks training, ie probably 10 days in total. scraped home with scanty support!

Dear Mr Addict - I have read your blog(s) and have deduced you were quite a fit chappie before your BG!

BTW - I was directed to your blog(s) by Mr GW of the rope dangling variety who said "my climbing mate does some fell running" An understatement methinks!

Cheers,

Derek.

Me too - from the flat land of Deal, Kent. Started training January 06 specifically for the BG. Successfully got round on 1st July 06, just. Have subsequently kept up fell running when holidaying up North.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern softie View Post
    Me too - from the flat land of Deal, Kent. Started training January 06 specifically for the BG. Successfully got round on 1st July 06, just. Have subsequently kept up fell running when holidaying up North.
    Thinking, only thinking at the momement, of having a go one day, not this year possibly next, bore me with your wisdom
    Hills and Guinness!

It was good to read this thread as I have very limited fell running experience and live down south. I am thinking of having a go at the BGR in June and am currently trying to convert my road running fitness into fell strength.
    I have a section of hill with 65metres of height gain and I am walking/running up and down it like a hamster to try and get used to the 'fells'.
    I am planning 3-4 long weekends in the lakes before my attempt but not until end of march. I suppose I won't know how I am going until I get to do these recces.
    I heard of someone in London who trained by running up and down a tower block stairs which made me feel like my method might be possible. Anyone else with similar experiences?

Wight plodder ! Well done. I live in London and am having a shot at the BGR this June as well. It ain't a great place to practice on the fells and I am running up and down Box Hill and other Surrey "hills" for my practice. I am hoping on getting up to the Lakes 5-6 times before June, including for a week in April. Time will tell if this is adequate but am enjoying the journey as much as (any) destination BGR wise :-)
    Be what you wanna be !

Hello All,

First post here , can anyone tell me what is the total distance and average pace required to complete the BG, any other useful info. gratefully received.

Cheers,

Frenchy,

3 miles an hour. Total distance varies, quotes range from 62-72 miles I think.

The actual pace is quite steady (well only done the Welsh version) but its more the unrelenting nature of it. Always just a slow jog down hill or on the flats or quick (ish) walk up hill, but that is a very misleading statment. Makes it sound far far easier than a round is.

In the Paddy Buckley I found the flat sections the hardest as they were the sections you needed to run.

i would of thought the getting fit bit is the easy bit . its the getting round , and the navigation in the dark that would worry me .