Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B.G.

Re: B.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorlander View Post
    Thanks Kate, Will keep you up todate through the forum.
    Chugger - I dont think so.. Hope you get going again soon
    Dont think i hadnt spotted you quietly posting away here Mr Moorlander...Good luck tomorrow and watch out for those Ponies

"The real secret is an absolute desire to get round and make the decision to do it, what ever it takes."

SPOT ON!!

Moorlander???, hopefully nee bother for D's 1st leg but may have to rush away for Wedding Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by Moorlander View Post
    Yes I will be able to support a section on the Sunday. Section 3 or 4 would be good. I have navigated on both in some pretty grim weather.

D and I have also entered the Walz so will be up there that week end. We have two full weeks planned. The week prior to Easter in Mid March and the first week of May. We have entered the GL3D over the bank holiday weekend. It has been extended this year to 30 miles on the first 2 days & 25 on the last so makes for ideal BGR training.
    Great news Moorlander ! Looking forward to catching up in April at the Waltz, if not before. Just had a good weekend running up and down ski slopes on the continent over the weekend :-).
    Be what you wanna be !

Smile Re: B.G.

I can't confess to have done no fell running prior to my BG but I had not done much. Joined Ambleside AC in September 1984 and went round the BG in late July 1985 at the ripe old age of 21 in 23.50.

Did a few races during that time but was at University in Cardiff so wasn't that close to the hills I needed to race/train over. Did Langdale 1984 and Wasdale 1985 both in hideous weather (bit like my BG day really, 18 hours or wind, rain and mist before it cleared out around Pillar/Kirk Fell) and managed a few sections of Wainwrights with Alan Heaton once the summer holiday came along.

No background of running or athletics. Had plenty of long fell walking experience and some climbing experience; otherwise a complete novice to the sport.

Fell in with the early 1980s Amblesiders who helped me a great deal with advice, recceing, support on the day and many other things. Made friends for life out of the experience, did lots of BG pacing in the few years thereafter and now find myself giving some help to others both via my current club Ilkley Harriers and in my role as BG 24 Hour Club Secretary.

Best thing of all was I got (and still do get) to spend time talking with the incomparable Fred Rogerson about all things BG. He too was a great help beforehand. Fred knows what it takes and it isn't necessarily tons of fell racing experience!

BGSec

i would love to have a go at the BG next year but i am really put off by the thought of tackling Broad Stand especially when knackered. I would have to go via Fox's Tarn as i believe that is the only other route onto Scafell?

23miles due West of British West Hartlepool

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    i would love to have a go at the BG next year but i am really put off by the thought of tackling Broad Stand especially when knackered. I would have to go via Fox's Tarn as i believe that is the only other route onto Scafell?
    West wall traverse from Lords rake is an alternative, its a bit rough but I have managed it in bad weather instead of risking Broad stand. You could always take a look. Good luck with recce.
    LOST TIME IS NEVER FOUND AGAIN, WHAT WE CALL TIME ENOUGH ALWAYS PROVES LITTLE ENOUGH.

thanks
    i will have a look at Lords Rake as i thought it had been closed

23miles due West of British West Hartlepool

thanks
    i will have a look at Lords Rake as i thought it had been closed
    It was closed a couple of years ago when a large slab fell off the top, it still hangs there ominously but appears to be stable. it does make you shoot up the rake quickly and then a sigh of relief when you cross below it onto the the traverse. I always keep to the right hand side looking for an escape route or crevice to dive into.
    I have a mate who once said " I dont like that big lump of concrete stuck up there" I said concrete, dont you mean igneous rock that is a million years old, he said same thing its still going to kill ya if it falls
    LOST TIME IS NEVER FOUND AGAIN, WHAT WE CALL TIME ENOUGH ALWAYS PROVES LITTLE ENOUGH.

I had similar concerns when planning my BG but decided not to dwell on it at all, I too went up via Lords Rake and scrambled up W W traverse, I think its just as quick on a busy day and it saved any worries about the climbing