Thread: Extended BG rounds

Extended BG rounds

By my reckoning there are currently just 14 people to have done a 50@50 based on the BGR. However I'd like to know just which extra eight tops each of them added to the basic 42.

There are two sets of tops given on the bobgrahamround website with the comment on the clockwise set that this is "the one used by members" and Geoff Davis used a different set earlier this year.

Clockwise:
    Lonscale Fell, Skiddaw Little Man, Hart Crag, Great Rigg Man, Pavey Ark, Loft Crag, Allen Crags, Scoat Fell.

Anti clockwise:
    Causey Pike, Scar Crag, Sail Crag Hill, Wandope, Whiteless Pike, Scoat Fell, Pavey Ark.

Geoff Davis:
    Looking Stead, Black Crag, Scoat Fell, Loft Crag, High Crag, calfhow Pike, Mungrisedale Common, Skiddaw Little Man

Anyone know of any other sets? Also, who from the fourteen used the above sets?

undercover moderator

Re: Extended BG rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Lonscale Fell, Skiddaw Little Man, Hart Crag, Great Rigg Man, Pavey Ark, Loft Crag, Allen Crags, Scoat Fell.
    Mornington Crescent!

I'd be interested to know who had done what. the amount of extra effort is very different for these. The Grasmoor Group being by far the hardest and the last one really not adding a lot as several of the tops are bumps that you'd go near or over anyway.

I agree. On my 42 I actually went over three of them and within 100m of three others that would have added all of a minute each. However many are used in the 55@55 rounds so perhaps churlish to discard them.

Hanging Knotts and Looking Stead were in Bob Graham's original 42 so perhaps they have a reason to be added, though no-one seems too interested in claiming High Snab in any extended round these days.

Dr Wakefield's stated aim was: " to ascend the greatest possible number of peaks over 2000ft, and return to the starting point within twenty four hours" and this, I think, is still used for the absolute record.

I've got the tops that Wendy Dodds used on her 50@50 (different again!) and I think that Dennis Lucas and Tom Sykes used the same extra peaks. But what about the others?

My 55 summit attempt is based on the route used by George Brass & Paul Murray and I believe, although I could be wrong, that Edward Hill's (& Paul Murray's) 50@50 included the NW Fells. I am seeing Paul at the weekend so I will try to clarify the 'extra 8' for the 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    By my reckoning there are currently just 14 people to have done a 50@50 based on the BGR. However I'd like to know just which extra eight tops each of them added to the basic 42.

There are two sets of tops given on the bobgrahamround website with the comment on the clockwise set that this is "the one used by members" and Geoff Davis used a different set earlier this year.

Clockwise:

Anti clockwise:
    Causey Pike, Scar Crag, Sail Crag Hill, Wandope, Whiteless Pike, Scoat Fell, Pavey Ark.

Geoff Davis:
    Looking Stead, Black Crag, Scoat Fell, Loft Crag, High Crag, calfhow Pike, Mungrisedale Common, Skiddaw Little Man

Anyone know of any other sets? Also, who from the fourteen used the above sets?
    I did these extras for my 50@50: Lonscale Fell, Skiddaw Little Man, Hart Crag, Great Rigg Man, Pavey Ark, Loft Crag, Allen Crags, Scoat Fell. I also went over Stirrup Crag but did not count it.
    Yiannis