Thread: Elliptical Trainers

Elliptical Trainers

I know some of you have turbo-trainers no doubt used more regularly over the winter months but has anyone got an Elliptical Trainer at home?

If so any comments/reviews before I consider buying one....

Cheers

MT

(I'm sure it'll pay for itself pretty quickly by saving on gym visits)

Re: Elliptical Trainers

A certain well known runner once told me that using one had helped with climbing ability when coming back from injury. Ever since then I'd had an inkling to get hold of one as I had a bit of space and was no longer visiting the gym where I had previously used them after occasional ankle/calf problems.

I picked one up v cheaply via ebay, £30 for one supposedly worth a few hundred, I had to pick it up, disassemble/reassemble etc. but I'd recommend having a look on there first for any real bargains. A lot of people buy them and never or rarely use them it seems.

I don't think the very cheapest ones are worth it and I think you have to spend a fair bit new to get something decent(as in comparable to commercial gym ones).

The one I have initially seemed ok, heavy enough flywheel, sturdy enough but have to go round it with the spanner tightening things up a bit too often for my liking. There was also a slightly strange smell I couldn't trace until I found bits of burnt rubber under it - I'm guessing friction is causing some band to wear away.

Despite the problems I think I did get some benefit from it. Only ever used it in short bursts when coming back from injury, no real substitute for running up real hills and since I've been injury free for a good while not used it for a while. Thought I might use it more come the winter but to be honest its a bit too boring so much prefer just getting out there.

I was in a John Lewis store the other day and from a quick look at the machines they had even the cheapest on display looked better built than the one I have, think it was the Kettler Zenith from looking at their site, £299.

Certainly don't regret buying it and quite glad I have it, would love a better made one but couldn't justify the expense.

Re: Elliptical Trainers

Thanks for the comprehensive reply jmacewan.

Although my reasons would be similar to you -coming back from injury, I'm still undecided as to whether to buy one - and it would certainly be second hand via ebay or similar as opposed to new.