Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Mileage vs Weekend Long

Weekly Mileage vs Weekend Long

When training for something like the BG, Fellsman or the PBR, I understand the key sessions are going to be over the weekend. I'm certainly planning on having long days out in preparation for the fellsman. I'm a little unsure of how big of a factor weekday mileage is, and how much of an effect it would have/ take away from the weekends training.

I reckon it could be quite easy to have a tough week monday to friday then be totally spent for the weekends training.

For example the BG rule of thumb is to get 10,000ft of climb in per week.

This weekend for example I plan to run/walk the first half of the Welsh 3000's. This would give me 8500ft of my weekly climb in 19miles. If for example I was to take it easy for the rest of the week in preparation for the weekend which I need too. My weekly mileage would probably be about 30 at the most with 10,000ft of climb. That type of mileage seems way to low for an event of this type.

Likewise after this weekend, I could be tired for mondays run and this could spill over into the weekly mileage. Wheare'as if I rested or took it easy during the week and had another big weekend next weekend I would be fully recovered and have a good long day out again.

I think what I'm trying to say is it, are the weekends a lot more important than the weekly mileage/ascent and should I be saving myself for these.

Hope I have not confused too many people, me being one.

Jamie
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 08-01-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Re: Weekly Mileage vs Weekend

I think you need to get used to such weekend events, so they are not taking too much out of you. At the moment they may do, which is understandable, but after a few months 4-6 hr run/walks in the hills shouldn't leave you feeling tired (as in struggling for the following week). Also you won't need to rest mid week, to be ready for the weekend.

You also have to get used to feeling a bit tired though, that's normal with so much height gain in a week.

I organised a weekly hill running night, just so I could get a regular hill run midweek which I wanted for my PBR, I also wanted to get used to running at night so it was an entirely normal thing to do.

I averaged 46.something miles/week last year and 11,000ft. I think that left me in good condition for the PBR.

Everyones different though, 10,000ft a week worked for me, for some that may not be enough, for others too much.

The main thing is to be 'hill fit' so long hill runs are not only easy because of your fitness but also you don't pick up injuries.

It is definitely the weekends that matter where can get in long hard days with big continuous climbs. Then use the weekdays for boosting the miles depending how you recover and feel. Don't get too preoccupied with weekly mileage - better to keep fresh both mentally and physically so that you are always eager for the next weekend trip to the hills. Good Luck!!

I should add that for me the weekends are 50% as important as for most others as every saturday from August to April is a football game, hence the need for midweek running. Forgot about that bit.

Master

Living where I do like NOYH I find it difficult to get the ascent in at any time other than Weekends and even then in The Peak it is difficult to do more than around 4000 feet so for me 10,000 per week is pushing it. I ussually do one other run midweek of around 12 miles..so my weekly mileage at present is around 30. last year I narrowly failed on BGR and I put this down mainly to in experience and lack of ascent.
    To ensure this doesnt ocur this year I intend to try and get more days in in Lakes or Wales more than 10,000 feet and I think build up to the big day in June. I am convinced this will be OK as it will be alot more than last summer when I got to Honister with only 2 hours and 40 minutes left.
    I guess we are all different have have differing home family committments that have to be scheduled in somehow!!

You know the routine Jamie Climb Climb Climb.
    miles count but the bgr is about climbing time on your feet 10-12 hour days
    simple but difficult.
    Amen xxx
    Going to try again....

Okay,

After last weeks LDWA event at hebden, I was still tired till Wednesday.

Had a crap run tuesday on tired legs, Wednesdays run was a bit better.
    I knew this weekend would be a big one so I rested after wednesday.

Did the first half of the welsh 3000's. Ended up doing 20miles and 8800ft on saturday and felt great.

Yesterday I did 7 hours walking on Kinder, it was on tired legs but think it helped.

My legs are reasonably stuffed now, I know my weekly runs this week are going to be on tired legs.

Am I going about this completely the wrong way about this.

Cheers
    Jamie
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 14-01-2008 at 02:28 PM.

No not really. You probably just need to adjust your expectations of what you can do during the week after a tough weekend.
    As Amex says it's all about climbing - to be able to keep up a strong pace walking uphill after 5,10,15,20 hours plus. Unless you are going for a fast time the BGR is more about walking than running. A strong walking pace up the hills and a jog on the flat and downhill. It's not a 72 mile fell race!

Just regard any mid week runs as recovery sessions initially,then up the work rate if and when your legs feel stronger. But if they don't feel like it no worries, concentrate on the weekend climbing.

Thanks MM that sounds like good advice,

Ill keep plugging away, Im planning an easier weekend every 4th week.

Im certainly having every monday off after a big weekend and every friday before.

So my recoveries are going to come Tues, Wed, Thurs.

It would be good if I feel something like every wednesdy

A friend of ours was working as a self-employed courier and did absolutely nothing mid-week, but every weekend for 6 months he camped in the Lakes and did 8-12 hours both Saturday and Sunday, back to back. He went round the B.G. in 17h. 45m. - at the time he was the 6th fastest on record.