Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sole for hard and wet rock

Sole for hard and wet rock

I'm looking for a light shoe for Alpine mountain running/walking. I have a pair of Inov-8 Mudroc 290's but the shoe I want will not see any mud. I'm really looking for a shoe for the Swiss or Austrian Alps. When looking at the info Inov-8 gives, I can't make out whether a F-lite sole or a Roclite sole would be the best option. The sole should be suitable for both dry hard rock and - after rain - wet rock. I'm really talking 'above the tree line' running/walking. Wet rock grip is important, because when you slip and slide in the Alps you can fall a long way.

Can anybody from his or her own experience point me to the right direction? Maybe I have to think differently and the Mudroc 290 can be used for what I envision.
    Last edited by haas; 12-01-2008 at 12:07 PM.

Re: Sole for hard and wet rock

Quote Originally Posted by haas View Post
    I'm looking for a light shoe for Alpine mountain running/walking. I have a pair of Inov-8 Mudroc 290's but the shoe I want will not see any mud. I'm really looking for a shoe for the Swiss or Austrian Alps. When looking at the info Inov-8 gives, I can't make out whether a F-lite sole or a Roclite sole would be the best option. The sole should be suitable for both dry hard rock and - after rain - wet rock. I'm really talking 'above the tree line' running/walking.

Can anybody from his or her own experience point me to the right direction?
    The Mudroc 290s are not really for mud as the sole isn't agressive enough but the rubber is also no good on wet rock, the Mudroc 280s are a different shoe altogether as a sticky rubber is used for the sole making them a good choice for wet greasy rock.

If the F-lite or Roclite that you want has the same rubber as the Mudroc 280 the grip would be good on dry/wet rock but don't just go by the outsole type as Inov8 use different rubber depending on the shoe.
    Bill

Talking Re: Sole for hard and wet rock

True, I understood that the 'O'-soles in the Mudclaw series are made of sticky compound. I was not aware that some of the F-lite and Roclite soles were made of the same sticky material.

Aha, checked the website again and I have to look for shoes with the S-symbol. Thanks for the info!

I know the Mudroc's are not real mud-shoes, but for the Dutch forests and beaches they will do nicely.

david

Walsh Raids.

My roclite 285's were brilliant coming down a naturally wet scafell.ran all the way down the path without any trouble,already bought a new pair for when this pair wears out!

I'd be definitely interested in the Roclite 285's. Gosh, it's been since 1991 I wore red shoes. That'll be interesting.

Unfortunately I can't try on Walsh in The Netherlands. I can't even buy Inov8 in Amsterdam, but I know my Inov8 size so I can order on the internet. This has worked great so far.

yeah,nice bright red! But at least you'll be seen if you end up arse over tit in a ditch somewhere!!

Trundler used Roclites in the Dolomite Sky-Race, 18 months ago, and was well suited with them. I will try and get him to post to you.

Very suprised to see roclites mentioned with wet rock.

I found them deadly. I think they are great for summer mountain trail running. Sort of shoe I'd wear for the main Snowdon trails, but on wet rock? never, and wet grass they are lethal.

I've never found any shoe that good on wet rock. I like my speed cross 2's, but today running out the back of Hebog they were deadly on the green wet rocks.

of the shoes I've had I'd go for my walsh PB's, but I've still to find a shoe I trust on wet rock.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Very suprised to see roclites mentioned with wet rock.
    Roclite 285s use sticky rubber Iain, the only roclites that use it, if its the same rubber as used on the Mudroc 280s then they'll be pretty good on wet rock, I prefer them to walshes on rock.

Both pale into insignificance compared to fiveten rubber but they don't do fell shoes.

Andy Hyslop used walshes resoled with fiveten rubber for his cullin ridge runs
    Last edited by Baggins; 14-01-2008 at 05:31 AM.
    Bill