Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trollers 24 - Yorkshire Dales

alwaysinjured

Re: Trollers 24 - Yorkshire Da

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    I'm def doing it albeit prob slowly as it's a week after the Blackpool Half . It looks lovely on the map and i remember it was a cracking part of the Dalesway.
    Lovely route it is too...but be warned, the last few miles up the wharfe, seem to go on forever!!

Cheers. CP 3 , is that actually the church at Rylstone? It looks like that grid ref is wrong if it is , maybe its me. it says 971587. Church looks to be 972 or 973 587. God , am i a pedant or what?

Super Moderator

. God , am i a pedant or what?
    Alf, you're a pedant. I fancied doing this and looking at the map it looks a belter - I'm in!

cheers Derby , i just needed confirmation lol. I'm recceing this on Sunday. Just any easy jog around.

cheers Derby , i just needed confirmation lol. I'm recceing this on Sunday. Just any easy jog around.
    I've just come back from a recce! It's a good route, really easy navigation too. Get a cool head on for the bit along the Wharfe at the end - loads of walkers to dodge. I struggled a bit (had a cold all week), and was pretty much spent at Troller's Gill but managed 4.17 which I reckon puts me on track for sub-4 on the day.

Bit of a newbie question here (this'll be my very first race!), but am I right in assuming that taking short cuts on these events is a no-no? There's hardly any anyway, but if the route description says follow a track I guess cutting big corners is cheating right?

Have fun!

Super Moderator

I tend to think of LDWA events as scenic timed training runs with refreshments rather than races TT. As such I couldn't see point in a shortcut. I walked from Barden Bridge to A'treewick and back this afternoon. Beautiful out today and no wonder so many folks about!

I agree with derby. some people do take shortcuts but if you want a good session, what's the point?
    If this is your first you're in for a treat. Good atmosphere, laid back and tons of grub etc at some CPs if you want it.

Which section is best to recce?. It looks like the last 4 miles is following the river and the first section is on the Wharfdale offroad marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Which section is best to recce?. It looks like the last 4 miles is following the river and the first section is on the Wharfdale offroad marathon.
    There's really not much you can do wrong as far as navigation goes; I guess the bit between the Barden Scale and Woodhouse Farm checkpoints has a few places that you could take a wrong turn. If you just want a good run I'd go from Rylstone over Barden Moor - that's the best bit IMO.

I agree with derby. some people do take shortcuts but if you want a good session, what's the point?
    If this is your first you're in for a treat. Good atmosphere, laid back and tons of grub etc at some CPs if you want it.
    I dont know if you know, but the route do'nt actually go up trollers gill (its un-runable anyway), it turns left up a track before-hand and gradually climbs up ot the cp just beofre the road. Teh other "short cut" some runners took (when i did it) was just over the bridge at Barden - some when up the road, and some along the river path. After teh day, i measured each and there was very little difference, and so its up to you! Over all, because its good running touraine, its easy to over do it earlier on, so beware!