Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trollers 24 - Yorkshire Dales

Re: Trollers 24 - Yorkshire Da

Just after Barden, there's little difference in distance but the road is quicker. However, the route description specifies you should take the river path.
    IanDarkPeak and I were running together last year and as the two routes rejoined we were suddenly aware of 4 runners right behind us who hadn't been there before - it spurred us on to push along the long run up the Wharfe because we weren't going to be overtaken by 'shortcutters'.

Fair point Chris.If there's not a lot in it then either way seems ok as long as its not sensitive to erosion etc. I know these are run as races but i suppose the reason i like them is that they aren't races as such.
    On a slightly diff tack , does anyone know if dogs are taken on The trollers? I want to take mine , haven't heard back from Mr Sparshatt yet.

Graeme

There are no dogs allowed, I think it must be something to do with the CroW access agreement to Barden moor and the like. My mrs was going to do the short walkers route until she saw you couldn't take dogs. Instead she is going to walk along the wharfe while I'm out, and the dog is going to swim along the wharfe Hopefully he'll bag us some crayfish!

Cheers Graeme. Damn , mine would've loved it too. O well. She'll have to be happy with her 44 miles tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by chris brown View Post
    I noticed some asking for details of the above ldwa event on Sat 1st March.
    Start(finish) from Threshfield nr Grassington, Hetton over Bardon Moor, up trollers gill (nr Appletreewick), back down to the river Wharfe, through Burnsall then up to Threshfield. Mostly good tracks, few bogs and so good for running times (some mud). I did it couple of years ago and hope to do it this.

You will have to pm me if you want a map as i cant get a copy on here. It includes cps and route but bear in mind it is from memory

More details http://www.ldwa.org.uk/events/show_e...&event_id=3141
    I thought i would give it one last mention seeing as it is this Sat. So if anyone has the time and fancies a relaxing tour of the Dales...all 24miles of it!! You still have time to enter (on the day). See you there

Quote Originally Posted by Trimm Trab View Post
    There's really not much you can do wrong as far as navigation goes
    ..although oddly enough, the start can cause problems, where you begin climbing from the lane onto Threshfield Moor. I've done the Trollers twice: the first time a load of us got ourselves on the wrong side of a wall and finished up playing the harp on barbed wire, and the second time all the leaders missed the stile off the lane and were faced with the embarrassment of having to overtake everyone else again. It shouldn't be difficult, but when lots of people go the wrong way, you have to be very confident not to go with them!

PS Good luck to all doing this. I'll be at the Noon Stone instead.

Last minute decision to do this. Looking forward to it. Going to have to start early though to be there for 8am start.

I'll be there again this year. I love this event - quite runner-friendly terrain, especially along the river to the finish, if you've anything left in the legs by that stage. You need to keep something in reserve because it's dead boring and takes far too long to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    I'll be there again this year. I love this event - quite runner-friendly terrain, especially along the river to the finish, if you've anything left in the legs by that stage. You need to keep something in reserve because it's dead boring and takes far too long to walk.
    Your not wrong BRitNick - its still over 4 miles when you get to the river, it can be a slippy, tis slighly up hill/up stream (although no paddling for me this yr), and back into the strong westerly wind!!! (there is strong winds forecast for Sat - gunabe a head wind after trollers gill). Am i doing it?? - yes i am!

I'll be coming from Guiseley - if anyone is passing a wants a lift call me?