Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st run in Salomon Speedcross2

Re: 1st run in Salomon Speedcr

What milage have others got out of SpeedCross2's?

I've done ~300miles in Snowdonia (240ish) and NW Highlands (60ish) and the toes are shredded, but the soles still going strong.

My Walsh PB's were the opposite, upper shoe lasted well, sole was like a slick within 200miles.

Really liked my SC's but thought I may get a bit more out of them, bought them mid November and that's about it for them really.

What have others got?

What do others consider good mileage for a fell shoe?

I always use Salomon shoes for running. I'm literally addicted to them They feel really comfy and they make my running exercises really pleasant. I couldn't even imagine not using them. I also found a site selling Salomon shoes.

I also have to agree with cotswoldrunner as I have narrow feet as well and the shoes fit me really good.

I bought a pair of Salomon trail shoes last year in a sale for £25 and I have to agree they are the best fitting shoes I have worn probably because I have narrow feet and high arches!! I even wore them on both the Wasdale and Borrowdale races recently and although the grip was not convincing in such wet conditions it was good to have a shoe that was so comfortable and responsive. I certainly look at some of the others - anyone any other recommendations.

Very pleased with my Speecrosses.
    The heal on the yellow pair I own is not as high as it looks, must be the graphics.
    Comfy heal cup, no inov8 blisters but the padding does soak up water.
    Very yellow.

The Derby Runner sell them and do discount for FRA members.
    Last edited by sbrt; 12-08-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Thumbs up Re: 1st run in Salomon Speedcr

Good all round shoe this one.

Better hold than the old Speedcross (which I found caused quite a bit of ankle roll) and good grip on all but the steepest ground.

Removable insole is great for me because I have a full foot orthotic.

(The Walsh PB Ultra Extreme is just too wide for my feet even with the orthotic in and I get massive ankle roll. I also have Mudclaw 270s which, whilst still wide, seem to give better stability. Did the Old Counties Tops in the Mudclaws without any problems at all.)

The Speedcross 2 are wonderfully comfortable and were fantastic in the Alps on the hard trails in June/July whilst on hols including the Cross du Mont Blanc.

The lacing system has its problems and on longer runs I do sometimes have to stop and tighten them up, specially before descents. That's a quick job tho'.

Contouring is not great fun in them, but its not much fun in any shoe I find (suspect the orthotics don't help here.)

On really hard ground, trail or road sections the sole doesn't "bite back" in my experience.

Used these for Wasdale this year and they coped very well.

I'm chuffed with them.

Morgan

Need some new shoes been looking at these for a while, do you think the grip would be good on the Ben Nevis? or am i best sticking to what i know! did it last year in inov8 330s? they look really comfy which is what i need and get good reports. Good for pronation

Goldie

My natural choice for the Ben would be a flat out fell shoe, Walsh or Innov8.

I reckon you could get away with the Speedcross on a dry day because I find the grip on dry rock first class with the softish rubber on the sole.

If there is any dampness though, my experience is that the grip on rock will eventually let you down. Not so much of a problem in a long or super-long (I used my Speedcross to do Wasdale for instance) but not ideal for the Ben when grip will be at a premium and you want to be tanking down on the descent.

Coming down the grassy bank into the red Burn would be problematic in them too (but I recall it is in most things!)

Suggest you race experiment with them in a more reasonable environment.

Morgan

Thanks Morgan

Your certainly right about the grassy decent, dont think it matters when your legs are like jelly!!! just can not run on road at all in walshs anymore

Not long now

These are no good for me - too much pronation control. PM me if anyone is isterested in a pair of UK 8s. Used once (12 miles only). Open to resonable offers.

IainR

You asked about mileage.

I would guess I am approaching 300 miles in my Speedcross 2s and there is little sign of wear yet on the uppers and the soles are wearing normally.

My Alps trip this year wasn't too aggressive in terms of wear and tear, but they have had some good long outings in the Lakes, including the Wasdale race.

Other long runs have been nearer to home and so softer underfoot with less aggressive ground generally.

I have to say though that since going down the road of orthotics, all my shoes seem to last much better than they used to. Perhaps the benefit of a better footfall stressing the shoes less over time?

Morgan