Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Swaledale Marathon

Cool Swaledale Marathon

Hi everyone, from soggy Sussex! This is my first message using this system so here goes.....I have just registered for the Swaledale Marathon in June which is a mixture of fell running and/or challenge walk. Has anyone done it and, if so, any tips, experiences etc?

Re: Swaledale Marathon

Heard it's a toughie mate , good luck!!

23miles due West of British West Hartlepool

Quote Originally Posted by SUSSEXBOY View Post
    Hi everyone, from soggy Sussex! This is my first message using this system so here goes.....I have just registered for the Swaledale Marathon in June which is a mixture of fell running and/or challenge walk. Has anyone done it and, if so, any tips, experiences etc?
    Hi, i have done the Swaledale Marathon numerous times and am entered again this year. Tip 1, get your accomodation sorted as Reeth gets very busy marathon weekend. The 23m route is demanding and tough but not severe,there is one stretch of c road approx 2m , the scenery on a good day is fantastic, the atmosphere among runners/walkers and checkpoint supporters is brilliant and the food on route and at the end is good. When nearing the end the corner pub and the road up to village hall finish is full of well wishers. I am sure you will enjoy this event. It is usually won in 3hrs. the average club runner can expect to finish between 4hrs-5hrs.
    Hope this helps
    LOST TIME IS NEVER FOUND AGAIN, WHAT WE CALL TIME ENOUGH ALWAYS PROVES LITTLE ENOUGH.

It is a great event in a great part of the world. There are 3 decent climbs,the first up Fremington Edge from the start can be a rude awakener and I always find the climb out of Gunnerside a bit tough as am beginning to tire by that stage.
    If the weather's fine the route is very scenic and the navigation is pretty straightforward but sometimes even in the Summer the mist can descend. Make sure you bring all your kit as they do check everyone at registration.

Swaledale Pete, you must be fit, cos I am well tired by Gunnerside village,and feel like surrendering at Surrender bridge. Should we mention Cringly Bottom,you dont need cramp there!!!!!
    LOST TIME IS NEVER FOUND AGAIN, WHAT WE CALL TIME ENOUGH ALWAYS PROVES LITTLE ENOUGH.

Don't feel that fit Ambrosia Kid! Cringly Bottom finished me off last year and I really struggled the last couple of miles back to Reeth. Just the thought of a mug of tea, a hot meat pie, a pint of Black Sheep and the number of club members who would be watching in Reeth kept me going.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaledale Pete View Post
    Don't feel that fit Ambrosia Kid! Cringly Bottom finished me off last year and I really struggled the last couple of miles back to Reeth. Just the thought of a mug of tea, a hot meat pie, a pint of Black Sheep and the number of club members who would be watching in Reeth kept me going.
    So I think it is safe to say, that we all should try and keep something in the bank for the latter stages, but the thought of the food and a pint of Black sheep will always get you to the finish, mind you when I finish up the road it looks like I have had several pints on route, the old wobbly leg syndrome.

Thanks Ambrosia Kid and Swaledale Pete. Swaledale is one of my most favourite places in all the world that is known to me - still got a lot to explore! To make it absolutely perfect would be to have the Muker Silver Band playing at the end!

Back to the running... I have walked the 3 Peaks several times, with my best being just over 8 hours. I have always been tempted to unleash myself on the downward bits, so the idea of the SM sounds pretty near perfect. Need to get my fitness up a bit, but there are plenty of hills around here (short and sharp though) and I have got stuck into them, and will continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosia Kid View Post
    Hi, i have done the Swaledale Marathon numerous times and am entered again this year. Tip 1, get your accomodation sorted as Reeth gets very busy marathon weekend. The 23m route is demanding and tough but not severe,there is one stretch of c road approx 2m , the scenery on a good day is fantastic, the atmosphere among runners/walkers and checkpoint supporters is brilliant and the food on route and at the end is good. When nearing the end the corner pub and the road up to village hall finish is full of well wishers. I am sure you will enjoy this event. It is usually won in 3hrs. the average club runner can expect to finish between 4hrs-5hrs.
    Hope this helps
    Does anyone know if there are reserve places available on this if anyone drops out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    Does anyone know if there are reserve places available on this if anyone drops out?
    Several club runners have club mates that can't make it for one reason or another, and take the spare entries along. The organisers allow substitution on the day, and in past years there's usually been a few people offering the spare entries that would otherwise go to waste. Not guaranteed, but I'd say there's a good chance if you're willing to risk it.