Thread: Gld3

Gld3

Any doing this?

Just got in, didn't do it last year when it was in Snowdonia, didn't hear about it until the week before. Sounds a cracking race.

Re: Gld3

Oops I mean the GL3D, as in the Great Lakeland 3 Day event.

Iain, I've never done this one; but it is a toughie. Joe the organiser is a good mate of my youngest brother. I think you will find that most of the people entering this event do not regard it as a 'race' perse. More of a 'festival' of like-minded souls spending 3 days in the hills.

Thumbs up Re: Gld3

I've taken part in the GL3D for the last three years and agree with the above comment. There is a relaxed atmosphere and for many people it's about spending three days in the hills as opposed to racing. I'll be there again this year.

I don't think many of the classic long races are races per se, certainly not the Peris. I think that's why i enjoy them so much as its about all round skill in the hills, navigation, route choice, pacing, far much than just a pure race. But the fact is its about getting from A to B in the fastest possible time, like the Paddy Buckley Round IMO.

I was part of it last year and although I was completely out of my class (short course Day One, DNF Day two and DNS DAY three) I thoroughly enjoyed it. Joe really has , somehow, created a unique event. A festival of running doesn't really do justice to those at the front of pack - there are some extremely fast long distance runners in the GL3D. But everyone was really friendly and I loved every minute of it. Thoroughly recommend it. And the organisation was like clockwork - despite the small size of it. And it was good to see the same faces popping up at other events through the year.