Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ashurst Beacon Race

Re: Ashurst Beacon Race

The course was the wettest I've ever seen it which could impact on the winning time.

Hi guys
    Afew photos from the ashurst beacon race 2011
    The loser now will be later to win.

The loser now will be later to win.

Quote Originally Posted by mickhelsby View Post
    Great pictures Mick.
    I have sent you a PM.

Many thanks to all who made this happen, it was er er different. too much of that black stuff that cars go on for me.
    Going to try again....

Banned
    Thank you to the Organizer and all the marshal's who helped out today.

A nice route with, as Amex said just a little too much Tarmac.

Well done to all who took part, nice sunny weather to help too.

This was a great race with a really nice atmosphere. The up hill finish wasn't as gruelling as I thought it might be (thank god) Being the only Dark Peak runner in the field I was a long way from home but felt I was amongst friends! That really is the beauty of this sport.

Well organised and I for one will be back next year. Looking forward to seeing some photos, noticed quite a few paps on the course hah

Banned

I can't get enough of a hilltop landmark, whenever I see one in the distance I'm overcome with an insuppressible urge to pay it a visit.

Although today was my 3rd time at Ashurst Beacon race the views at the beacon finish still grab my attention long after many have made their way to the pub. The little hill of Ashurst from which the beacon resides offers a fantastic panorama of West Lancashire. Further afield views of the Lake District, North Wales and the Pennines can also be appreciated.....now it's time for the pub.

It's pleasing to see that Ashurst Beacon hasn't been subjected to the 'art' of graffiti....for now. No doubt it won't be long before some knobhead proclaims his undivided love to his latest squeeze because she's 100% fit and they'll be together "4 eva".

The race attracts about 150 runners and from the off we're 'treated' to one of the fastest half mile starts in the fell calendar. It's a steep downhill on tarmac, so steep at one point I feel like my teeth are rattling in my mouth....fell shoes aren't exactly good shock absorbers.

Soon enough a sharp left-turn takes us onto a muddy track....game on. The track widens into a great runnable descent where fell shoes come into their own and I no longer feel the rattling of teeth. Next up is a flat section on more track and the first climb starts once the canal bridge is crossed. From here the climb is gradual through woods, bypassing a quarry and continuing up towards the road on Parbold Hill.

Interlude:

During the summer months an ice cream van is usually parked up at Parbold, it's rude not to make a purchase and sit at the bench at the 'Parbold Bottle' monument....in fact it's compulsory, if you're a greedy sod like myself.

Resume:

After a short downhill we're back into woods again....the wonderfully named Fairy Glen. Throughout the woods slippy duckboards are encountered and a great stepped descent leads down towards a stream which is followed out of the woods.....for the record, I didn't see any Fairies but found myself singing, "Fairies wear boots" by Black Sabbath.

Muddy fields soon bring us back to the Leeds and Liverpool canal and a return journey all uphill to the beacon 2 miles away.

Many thanks to all involved for a typical West Lancashire lung buster that sits well alongside neighbouring races, Harrock Hill and Parbold Hill.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.