Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashurst Beacon Race

Re: Ashurst Beacon Race

Sounds good. might have a go at this. Will be bringing up the rear though.
    30 years and still here.

I've underlined this event in my FRA calendar every year for the last nine years but haven't managed to get round to doing it yet.

Looking at detritus21's course description, if i'm not mistaken sections of it appear to be the same as the Parbold Hill race.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Danbert, This is the race route, near enough. The only bit which is the same as the Parbold Hill Race is when you run along the road by the Wiggin Tree, before heading off into the Fairy Glen.

The first two miles of the race are downhill and mostly off road. After crossing the railway bridge, it's all uphill, past an old quarry before finally coming out at the top opposite the Wiggin Tree.

From there it is downhill again, firstly following the road before disappearing into the Fairy Glen Woods. At about 4 miles, you are out of the woods and starting your climb back up towards Ashurst Beacon, having picked up the same trail which you ran down earlier.

When you get back onto Long Heys Lane, the hill becomes steeper, but you get a bit of rest as you turn right and follow the track along the edge of some trees (its very muddy along here). Once you cross the stream, it's one final push up to the beacon!

I don't like the look of the uphill finish but I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    Danbert, This is the race route, near enough. The only bit which is the same as the Parbold Hill Race is when you run along the road by the Wiggin Tree, before heading off into the Fairy Glen.

The first two miles of the race are downhill and mostly off road. After crossing the railway bridge, it's all uphill, past an old quarry before finally coming out at the top opposite the Wiggin Tree.

From there it is downhill again, firstly following the road before disappearing into the Fairy Glen Woods. At about 4 miles, you are out of the woods and starting your climb back up towards Ashurst Beacon, having picked up the same trail which you ran down earlier.

When you get back onto Long Heys Lane, the hill becomes steeper, but you get a bit of rest as you turn right and follow the track along the edge of some trees (its very muddy along here). Once you cross the stream, it's one final push up to the beacon!

Thanks for the detailed route description Sinatra....you could easily run the course from your post
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

might see you there Pinno, am running Helsby half on Sunday but tempted with this one to get rid of some lactic Think I prefer hills now...

Hi All,

The uphill finish really did for me, must've lost a dozen places in the last mile or so.

Great race tho thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Nice to meet a few of the people on here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rossendalemark View Post
    Will be bringing up the rear though.
    Think that honour went to me, those runable climbs went on and on!! But it was nice to run in a new area.

Well done all forumites who took part in this race today. Very wet and heavy conditions along the route a really tough finish up that hill.

Will upload all the photos I took later and add a link here.

Another well organised Ashurst Beacon Race. Big thanks to everyone involved! The course seemed slightly muddier this year, but still a cracking little race!

I was hoping to do better this year, but ended up being 49 seconds slower than last year. I really need to rest these legs I think!

It was a good turnout today and it was nice to see some forumites too.

See you all at the Parbold Hill Race in February!