Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fell Running for puppies

Master

Re: Fell Running for puppies

She is lovely Andy good luck.
    Last edited by JohnK; 25-01-2007 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Gramatical error
    The older I get the Faster I was

We've got an 9 month old collie (ish) dog, and we have started running her short distances, mainly as she's such a wee shite!

http://bp3.blogger.com/_IoDbwwAfbtY/...P1030079-1.JPG

Loads of shots of her running here:

http://sarzmountainrun.blogspot.com/...namurchan.html

We are careful over what terrain though, only grassy tracks and avoid steep rockya scents or descents.

Poor dogs had a liver shunt so undergone to Liver ops, which the insurance wouldn't pay for.

I so want a dog!

I have a Lakeland terrier and she loves to run, the problem is sneaking out for runs that are not appropriate! she goes Bananas!
    Dogs, like people need to be trained and she didnt do any meaningful training with me until she was a year old.

Lots of rubbish talked about cruelty! Dogs are bred to perform a function and nothing gives them more pleasure than to "work" and that would normally include lots of miles over different terrain.
    Watch out for someone masquerading as a dog soon and posing comments Yawn!! bloody dog owners. A neighbour of mine has two retrievers and the compulsory 4 wheel drive to take them 600 metres to the park! He commented to my son (8) whilst he was walking the terrier "dont walk her too far"!. My son said "she's ok she did 14 miles with my dad yesterday" He went pale!!

david

My inlaws used to have a chihuahua and if it ever stayed with us it just tagged along whenever I went for a run with my golden retriever. The longest run I did with it was about an hour and a quarter but it certainly had no difficulty with that and was obviously enjoying itself. It's biggest problem was seeing where it was going in long grass .

Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Stones View Post
    How Cruel !!!! Shame on You

Although i have a dog myself (Border Collie), i have read, and wouldnt anyway subject him to such a harsh training regime.
    Supposedly they've put GPS and other tracking devices on working collies. It's been estimated that during lambing season a collie will run 100 miles a day, for 100 consecutive days.

My parents have a fox/trail hound mongrel type dog, she's now 13, but in her younger days a 8 hr day would be a walk in the park. You could run a trail hound all over the lakes and it would still want to go out again that evening.

You will never tire a collie out. Ours is 9 months, she's been out for 6-8 miles with us a few times, but just recovering from a second liver op, so on rest again. From next week she'll start training with us again.

All we do is run her and see, avoid rocky ground. This no running is silly, if you walk a dog for an hour they'll run just as far as if you ran them for an hour. If we have overdone it she sleeps for a while. But generally an hours power nap and she's jumping up and down again.

Labs have no reason not to be fit, a fit looking lab is a great site, too many people use the 'dopn't want to hurt his hips' excuse for being lazy and not getting the dog out enough. (I'm not saying you do BTW).

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

All we do is run her and see, avoid rocky ground. This no running is silly, if you walk a dog for an hour they'll run just as far as if you ran them for an hour. If we have overdone it she sleeps for a while. But generally an hours power nap and she's jumping up and down again.
    I used to take my mother in laws dog (mongrel with lots of whippet I'd say) for runs/walks.
    If I took her for a walk she would cover more ground as she used to run in a big loop around me at top speed no matter how fast I went and going by how she reacted when I'd turn up at the house (whole body trembling, tail wagging like mad and barking) she seemed to like going for runs.

Bill

I finally got a dog a few weeks back. She's a staffy cross (though with what I don't know - a whippet I think judging by her shape, speed etc.) from the local RSPCA. She's only 11 months old and a bit lively on the lead at the moment so I've not run with her yet. She is calming down a bit and once she doesn't try and drag me off down the lane every time I break into a run, she'll be a great running partner for sure.

The expression of hurt on her face when I go out for a run without her though is heart breaking!

By the way, cheers David for recommending a rescue dog on the old forum "What Dog?" thread. I'm so glad we didn't shell out for a pedigree and have given a lovely stray a good home.

I'll post a picture when I get chance.

I'm sure several people on that old thread ran with labradors/retrievers. Lovely dog by the way Andy.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

We've always had rescue dogs, always been great dogs.

Ours was running with us, then had the op so isn't at the moment. She's not just looking hurt, she's also making us pay. At the weekend she pissed on my Rab down jacket and will always squeeze one out, even if we go for just an hours run. Just a little turd by the back door as a lesson. She's toilet trained, and if I go out in my jeans she's fine, put on my running gear and the protests start.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Labs have no reason not to be fit, a fit looking lab is a great site, too many people use the 'dopn't want to hurt his hips' excuse for being lazy and not getting the dog out enough. (I'm not saying you do BTW).
    Indeed! Our Lab would regularly come out either for a run with me on the fells or with both of us mountain biking. It is quite entertaining to see people's faces when he runs past - "Look! A Labrador running!" as if it is something bizarre. When he was young, it would take days to tire him out. Now he is nearly 12 he has slowed down a bit, especially since he had an operation to remove his spleen at the back end of last year. Still looks fitter than most Labs though and there is still a spring in his step.

Our vet at the time (Gill Hubbard down at Cibyn in Caernarfon) recommended that we didn't take him on the fells until he was a year old and then to just break him into it gently.