Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Tent ?

Re: Which Tent ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Have to agree. There's a good reason one cost pocket money and the other costs £200+. If you only want one for the back garden in summer for the kids then go to Argos. If you want one that will serve you well for several years and stay upright and keep you dry in driving wind and rain in a hostile environment then you go for a proven product that has been tested on expeditions worldwide in a variety of conditions. Some of the product costs go to pay back the R&D which encompasses the freebies given to many major endevours that test the gear to its limits - you don't see many Argos tents at Everest base camp, never mind advance camp
    I agree and invested in a decent MM tent since then. My (weak) excuse is that at the time I was a student so lightweight + cheap = bought.
    First run then beer. If no run then proceed directly to beer.

i got an msr zoid 2 a while back and it hasn't let me down yet. fairly spacious for two people so long as you havent got too many Xs on your trouser labels.

click here

very light, about 1.8k and you can just put up the fly without the inner, or the other way around, however the only drawback is that you have to put the inner up first then put the fly over unless you want to fiddle around under it for a bit trying to find the appropriate hole for the pole. other than that its a good tent imo.

if your budget is bigger than the £150 ish i paid then look towards the hilleberg tents, very light and extremely well made (as is a lot of the swedes kit). not had one myself but have not heard anything but glowing reviews about them.

good luck in NZ, i went there a couple of years back with my family in a camper van (oh the shame). mother got pneumonia (nothing to do with nz just shes not particularly immune-strong) and we ended up in invercargil, my father described it as the hemorrhoid on the arse of the world, i'd steer well clear of it if i were you unless you want to look at a big smelly aluminuim smelter and head towards milford sound and queenstown. have fun.

Thanks Ben, all advice is being taken in. Still not decided yet, down to a 'shortlist' and need to see a few in the flesh next. Haven't seen a single word against the Hilleberg tents - but not cheap unless we're getting some serious use from them. Can't find out an awfull lot about the Saunders, other than what is on website, which isn't a great deal.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Did you see Saunders own website?

http://www.robertsaunders.co.uk/

I have a Saunders Felltrek which I am pleased with. The only thing I would change is the bells are a bit on the small side. It's great in the wind - hardly notice a thing.

Fellhound

I have a Vango Hurricane Alpha, which is a great tent but pretty ancient now. I haven't a clue what the latest equivalent is but this one is a great design and brilliantly well-made. It doesn't get a lot of use nowadays (since I bought my campervan ) but has stood up to everything the last 15 or 20 years or so have thrown at it, which is a lot. My only criticism is it is a little skimpy on length for my 6'3".

Features which to my mind are essential in a tent for long term use in damp/wet/unpredictable climates: Alloy poles, neoprene groundsheet, porch space, outer-first or both-together pitching.

Inner first pitching tents may be OK for California but you don't want to be trying to thread the poles through the (water-permeable) inner in the pouring rain in Glencoe on a dark night!

The Vango goes up in about three minutes with 4 pegs - inner and outer together. In fact I think the Hilleberg Nallo looks like it's based on the Hurricane design.

PS The Hurricane does say it's "Designed by Aarn" so maybe there is a Swedish connection..?
    Last edited by Fellhound; 13-02-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Have you thought about the Stephensons Warmlite 2R? Given the weak dollar it's in your budget, 2-3 man tent with 2 bells and a total weight of 1.5kg for a double skin tent.

Made by naturists admittedly so be careful if looking at the website whilst at work <eek> http://www.warmlite.com/tents_In.htm

I'm still dithering about buying one, but they're very tempting.

HTH

Ben B