Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some you Win Some you Lose

Master and MR

Re: Some you Win Some you Lose

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    No sorry BUT Any one attempting both will get huge respect as there are three big climbs in the SYWSYL. Dark Peak/Penistone have a club race Monday evening so extra respect for those who go on to do the Washington Wasp and collect all three. Jan you're invited if you want to join in.

i may do this one as well Ian , are you doing the 3peaks

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    i may do this one as well Ian , are you doing the 3peaks

Oh yes

You out on Sunday Ian, running or helping? There are some good offers of help so far, could always do with more tho .......

I could do with a chat about MR too sometime. You coming to Dark Peak tomorra night? Hathersage Stream run from the hut
    the older I get, the better I was

No sorry BUT Any one attempting both will get huge respect as there are three big climbs in the SYWSYL. Dark Peak/Penistone have a club race Monday evening so extra respect for those who go on to do the Washington Wasp and collect all three. Jan you're invited if you want to join in.
    Hiya Ian - I might well be up for the WW as I'll need to get out on Monday. What time do we meet on the night?

But I'll pass on SYWSYL - don't want to give the missus grounds for divorce, especially after PPP the day before!

Picture of todays race

Results of todays race

Looks like a good race. Any one there like to comment on the climbs.

Yep I ran it. Tough race, up the lane then right turn straight up Hope Brinks which was hands on knees all the way up for virtually everyone. Turn right towards Winn Hill on the track before turning left just before the trig down a steep, narrow, rocky, muddy path to the bottom at Ladybower.

Over the dam wall back round and up Parkin Clough which was wet, humid and as steep as ever. Glad to get to Winn Hill trig which was in the mist then a quad bashing run to Edale Road, inluding the very slippy bit before Twitchill farm which had tell tale 'skid marks' in a couple of places!!

That just left the climb to the top of Lose Hill, although tired by now I found the climb easier then the Skyline route as its from the Hope side and the first third or so of it is a gentle incline rather than the steep road and wooded bit. However the last two thirds was tough and it was a relief to reach the top. The fast descent back down the Skyline route was hard on tired legs especially down the rocky path at the end.

All in all a thoroughly 'enjoyable' morning. Can't be many 8 mile races in the peaks with 2700ft of climbing in and it was nice to do a race with 3 climbs and descents.

Jim came out with a classic line to all the runners prior to the start... 'at the top of Hope Brinks turn right, if you try to go straight on you'll die but if you follow the proper route you'll probably only break your leg !!'

Any one there like to comment on the climbs.
    I thought they were great. It was the descents where I lost a few places. It's certainly a good race for showing where your strengths and weaknesses are.

Thanks to the organisers. I think this is a very welcome addition to the FRA calendar.

Thumbs up Re: Some you Win Some you Lose

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    CLIMBS - I thought they were great. It was the descents.......
    The climbs were 'exceptional' to quote the chap crawling up Parkin Clough behind / then passing me. (Although exceptionally what he did not say). It was the descents that were painful! Down once in the plantation above the 'big lake' aka Labybower Dam where I managed to land on and skid along on my hip and elbow (many thanks to the people running along side at the time for stepping over me rahter than on top of me). This hurt, whereas the the bottom ski-ing down Lose Hill was actually quite fun (mud without rocks this time). All race should finish at a river where you can wash off the bits of the race that stuck to you en route.

Thank you to the organisers.

many thanks to all involved a gem of a race

I left most of the skin from my right knee on the path somewere behind Win Hill Great race - really enjoyed it and far better than the other thing going on in Sheff Sunday morning