Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoes for Lakes races?

Shoes for Lakes races?

Well its that time of year again and the age old question raises its money grabbing head.

Looking forward to racing mostly in the Lakes this year. In Scotland most races have mud and bog and I have found big studs are best all year round, but I am guessing Lakes are more rock and grass, with more trod running, which could be muddy at times but could just as easily be bone dry.

So I am currently in love with my Walshes though did like my Mudclaws too, but found them a bit heavey. I would wear these if it was wet in the Lakes, but what if it is dry? My Mizuno Harriers are dead and not great on wet rock so I am thinking of changing this year. I am thinking of the longer Lakeland Classics.

So far thinking of the tried and tested Innov8 Mudrock 280s (the green ones) but what else have you found good in the Lakes? Also has Puma dealt with the wear problems in their new models?

Jason
    Is it meant to be this hard?

Re: Shoes for Lakes races?

Quote Originally Posted by Trossachs! View Post
    Looking forward to racing mostly in the Lakes this year. In Scotland most races have mud and bog and I have found big studs are best all year round, but I am guessing Lakes are more rock and grass, with more trod running, which could be muddy at times but could just as easily be bone dry.

So far thinking of the tried and tested Innov8 Mudrock 280s (the green ones) but what else have you found good in the Lakes? Also has Puma dealt with the wear problems in their new models?

Jason
    I laughed when I read that but then remembered for Duddon and Ennerdale last year it was bone dry
    I did both in Montrail Highlanders and in similar conditions would do so again or wear something like Mudrock 280s as both have lots of running on good paths.

For Langdale and Borrowdale the fells were really wet and wore Mudclaw 330s and was glad I did, the Borrowdale especially was very muddy in places with people slipping everywere.

In the Wasdale even though it was very wet I thought I would wear Mudrock 280s as from Gable to Scafel pike its very rocky, big mistake, while they were great for that section, the way up and off Whin Rigg was very muddy as was the traverse after Seatallan, the descent down Lingmell was very slippy as well, Mudclaw 330s or walshes would have been better.

If it was dry Mudroc 280s would be ok for any of the Lakeland classics but if its wet I think you need studs.
    Bill

Fellhound

Call me biased, call me set in my ways but.... Walsh PB Extremes. Nothing else will do

david

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    Call me biased, call me set in my ways but.... Walsh PB Extremes. Nothing else will do
    Surely you mean PB Racers .

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    Call me biased, call me set in my ways but.... Inov8 Mudclaw 330s. Nothing else will do
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    Call me biased, call me set in my ways but.... Inov8 Mudclaw 330s. Nothing else will do
    Blimey, just think how fast you'd be if you wore decent shoes .

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Blimey, just think how fast you'd be if you wore decent shoes .
    He is wearing decent shoes. Mudclaws are the only thing for the Lakes, what ever the weather, they have the best grip in steep wet grass of any shoe.

david

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    He is wearing decent shoes. Mudclaws are the only thing for the Lakes, what ever the weather, they have the best grip in steep wet grass of any shoe.
    They may have decent grip but the 330s are far too heavy and clumsy for my liking.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    They may have decent grip but the 330s are far too heavy and clumsy for my liking.
    I wonder if thats why they do a Mudclaw 270?

That shoe has the best grip on most surfaces, its just the crap upper that lets it down.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I wonder if thats why they do a Mudclaw 270?

That shoe has the best grip on most surfaces, its just the crap upper that lets it down.
    I've never tried on a shoe that felt so completely wrong as the 270. They just don't suit my feet at all.