Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Championships

Championships

Having apparently failed miserably to get an entry in the first championship race this year (Black Combe) and having been informed that there's no chance of substitution, I was just wondering when that illustrious body aka the FRA Committee were going to come up with a championship which measures runners speed on the hills rather than on either the keyboard or the postbox.

While I sincerely hope that the majority of runners in this race are serious contenders, after the lack-lustre performance of most of the runners on the Edale Skyline last year, I fear that we are approaching a situation whereby several major players are likely to be excluded - which is a great pity.

Other sports have various ways of either excluding the dross, or seeding the serious players, so why can't fell running do the same.

We have 500 or so races for anybody to "have a go" - why can't we just be a little bit more serious with our championships?

Re: Championships

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post
    Having apparently failed miserably to get an entry in the first championship race this year (Black Combe) and having been informed that there's no chance of substitution, I was just wondering when that illustrious body aka the FRA Committee were going to come up with a championship which measures runners speed on the hills rather than on either the keyboard or the postbox.

While I sincerely hope that the majority of runners in this race are serious contenders, after the lack-lustre performance of most of the runners on the Edale Skyline last year, I fear that we are approaching a situation whereby several major players are likely to be excluded - which is a great pity.

Other sports have various ways of either excluding the dross, or seeding the serious players, so why can't fell running do the same.

We have 500 or so races for anybody to "have a go" - why can't we just be a little bit more serious with our championships?

Didn't you say to the organisers "Do you know who I am?"

Here we go again

Black Combe postal entries have been open for sometime. If you failed to get an entry then really you only have yourself to blame, especially after the 3P wake up call. If you want to rant about something, then that (the 3P) would be worthy subject.

Graeme

I think the problem with the champioship races is that they are open to all age groups, i.e. M, MV40, 45 etc and the same with the ladies races. I think we are now getting to the point where there is a need for separate championship, or to go back to the runner of the year system used years ago, I know little of this being relatively new to fell running, but this may reduce the burden on a select number of races, allowing more people who WANT to do these races rather than feeling the HAVE to the races to qualify for their own club championship.

Just thoughts not a colution.

Come on, one persons dross is anothers elite athelete.

I hope to god we don't split up fell running. I think its a great plus for the sport that the 'dross' line up with the likes of Rob Jebb, Ian Holes and Yorkshire Thug.

Maybe more careful selection of championship races may be an answer. What was the entry limit for Black Combe? Routes that can withstand high numbers of runners, and routes that are far off from the main cities.

The other year Peris, this year Angus, were championship races and both had quite small fields.

Also on short races I think separate races for each sex definately helps.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I hope to god we don't split up fell running. I think its a great plus for the sport that the 'dross' line up with the likes of Rob Jebb, Ian Holes and Yorkshire Thug.
    I agree.

Why not always reserve 20 (or so) spots for the highest cummulative points scorers in the preceding six championship races. This should pick out the serious contenders.

Graeme

That's a good idea, why not reserve 3 places for the top three of each age group from the previous year, after all these races are not just for the open category. That would probably work out at less than 60 places.

This isn't about me (yes I didn't make Black Combe, and yes that's entirely my fault for not trying hard enough earlier) - it's about a championship which is more like a lottery.

If we want to find out who is the best fellrunner, then we need a system whereby we can get all the likely candidates to run head-to-head, and not leave everything to chance as we currently seem to do.

Because races are getting bigger, the sport is getting more popular, people are more willing to travel, entry is easier etc etc - because of all these reasons it becomes much more difficult to have a real championship.

If I wanted to enter, say, Wimbledon, I can't just go on-line and sneak in before the seeds. They don't allow that - as I'm not a seed, I'd have to qualify in various other rounds first. Fell running could use this model, with some of the 500 odd other races on the go.

I think the idea of using separate races for the vet categories is worth thinking about, as is the idea of non-open races. Why not?

I like the idea that fellrunning isn't elitist, I like racing against Robert, Ian etc - but that's your normal everyday fell races. A championship is a championship is a championship. It is elitist by its very nature.

FellMonster

Yes, but you are comparing FellRunning against a professional sport (tennis), a professional tournament where people play for money, where people pay to watch etc, an event which is organised by 'proper' paid officials in fancy green tweed blazers....you're not comparing like for like. Fellracing is organised by enthusiasts, volunteers, non professionals etc......thats why there's no seeding and the like......its a non professional sport made up of die hard enthusiasts.....

Perhaps you should 'run-off' and don a blue blazer and fly the UKA professional flag......no crap runners in our races.....no unaffiliated numbers without their 'license' (plastic card with number) to run in this race. Heck why don't you start and dope test us all as we cross the finish line!

Besides, while I appreciate your point Im not sure its valid..........all the big guns get their entries in successfully........

I like the idea that fellrunning isn't elitist, I like racing against Robert, Ian etc - but that's your normal everyday fell races. A championship is a championship is a championship. It is elitist by its very nature.
    I think that the flaw with this argument is that they are in fact the same races. I'm sure there are people who run Black Combe (for example) every year - why should they not run in the year it is selected for the championship? The analogy with tennis breaks down because Wimbledon is always the premier UK tennis event - my low-key local tournament doesn't become the UK championship every few years.