Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitten by a dog!

Re: Bitten by a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Doonhamer View Post
    Was doing mile efforts, back & forth, on a cycle path the other day & after I got chased by a couple of dogs for a second time I had a pop at the owner;

Me "Have you no control over your bloody dogs?"
    Her "Oh but they're only young & playful."
    Me "So am I but I don't f*$%!ng chase people."
    if you got chased by our dogs they would have decided you wern't going to your full potential!

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post

Nowadays, if I'm approached by a snappy dog I scream at it and flap my arms to show who's boss. I've found it particularly effective against Jack Russell types...

normally little jacks respond well to a boot up the arse, if you get them to clear the wall it's a try.. if they come running back you sprint.. the efffort is well worth the hassle..

if a dog goes for you, just bark back you're going to be bigger than it (unless you encounter some kind of horse/dog hybrid in which case good luck) so if you make a bigger noise they usually have enough sense to back off.

I got attacked by a dog several years ago while running an event in the West Pennine Moors. I had just rounded a corner in a track and saw a woman 100 yards up the track with two dogs. As soon as she saw me she seemed to panic to try and get her mongrels on their leads. She got one but the other was off, racing downhill towards me like a steamlined missile, running in for the kill, except I didn't realise it at the time. I had stopped running and was standing in disbelief/denial of what was about to happen, ready to defend myself. The mangy mutt, which stood knee-high, jumped up, I turned sideways to defend the family jewels and it sank its teeth into the top of my leg and buttock. The attack was repeated until the owner arrived. I was in shock. All I could say was "What a nasty dog." Her reply was "It's because you were running." CR*P!! I'd been standing still for the duration, trying to defend myself.
    Irresponsible dog owners like her are always in total denial, refuse to accept that such attacks could be their fault and blame the victim instead. I still bear the scars several years later. I spent that evening in casualty waiting for an anti Tetanus injection. I also put in an official complaint to my local police, who forwarded it to Bolton police. They said they went out to try to trace the owner, but unsurprisingly failed to do so.
    In retrospect I should have insisted that the woman take me to hospital there and then, and got her details at the same time, but of course you never do that at the time. I've thought about it a lot in the intervening years and rehearsed in my mind what I would do if it were to happen again.

Graeme

If I recall correctly a dog can be destroyed if it is behaving in an uncontrolable manner in a public place. (Dangerous dogs act Section 3)
    If possible it might be worth trying to get the details, steal the collar for example, all dogs have to wear a collar and tag or it's upto 5 grand's worth of fine, so if there isn't a collar they can also be reported. (Control of Dog's Order 1992)
    As a dog owner I don't like him harassing other dogs or people. And it works the other way, I don't want unwanted attention from other dogs or people. If he's not happy it's not on!

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    If I recall correctly a dog can be destroyed if it is behaving in an uncontrolable manner in a public place. (Dangerous dogs act Section 3)
    If possible it might be worth trying to get the details, steal the collar for example, all dogs have to wear a collar and tag or it's upto 5 grand's worth of fine, so if there isn't a collar they can also be reported. (Control of Dog's Order 1992)
    As a dog owner I don't like him harassing other dogs or people. And it works the other way, I don't want unwanted attention from other dogs or people. If he's not happy it's not on!
    You weren't trying to stop him from harassing other dogs when he was trying to hump my dog the other week!!

Quote Originally Posted by benmatthews90 View Post
    if a dog goes for you, just bark back you're going to be bigger than it (unless you encounter some kind of horse/dog hybrid in which case good luck) so if you make a bigger noise they usually have enough sense to back off.
    Originally Posted by jodg
    [QUOTE=Nowadays, if I'm approached by a snappy dog I scream at it and flap my arms to show who's boss. I've found it particularly effective against Jack Russell types...[/QUOTE]

I tried both of the above methods and they kept the dogs off but now will someone please sign the forms to get me out of here

Deejay
    c/o Happy Valley Sanatorium
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

I was running along the canal once when I saw two large mastiffs approaching rapidly. These hounds had an evil look with saliva pouring from their mouths. I had no hope of escape from their jaws of death.

Their owner, an equally formidable woman, who cannot not be disobeyed, saw my dilemma and shouted in a very loud voice, "SIT". I promptly sat down on the canal bank with the two now placid beasts sitting quietly beside me. The women creased herself with hysterical laughter at the situation and told me that I was never in any danger.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    You weren't trying to stop him from harassing other dogs when he was trying to hump my dog the other week!!
    You said he liked that kind of thing

I'm just glad your not bringing him tomorrow. It'll be another run on his lead if you do.

Dog attacks up by 40%

But he's only playing.....

PLAY WITH YOUR OWN F'IN DOG - I DON'T WANT TO!