Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FellRunner Magazine Articles

FellRunner Magazine Articles

Appreciate that we get more than pretty good value as FRA members, but what are the chances of spoiling us some more?

There's a lot of mag articles on the site from 2004 and a couple from 06 but it peters out, so what about putting up a selection of articles from the mag on a more regular basis (say profiles, champs race reports, distance stuff for starters)?

Re: FellRunner Magazine Articl

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Appreciate that we get more than pretty good value as FRA members, but what are the chances of spoiling us some more?

There's a lot of mag articles on the site from 2004 and a couple from 06 but it peters out, so what about putting up a selection of articles from the mag on a more regular basis (say profiles, champs race reports, distance stuff for starters)?
    Why? You are in the FRA. You get The Fellrunner. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by end View Post
    Because if you only joined last year, there's a lot of really good articles from years gone by that you've missed.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Because if you only joined last year, there's a lot of really good articles from years gone by that you've missed.

But there are 150 pages in the latest issue!

HTML Code:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by end  

Good point Dominion, but I've been a member for a good few years now. I just think it would be a good source of reference, particularly as I don't seem to manage to keep a copy of the mag for any longer than a year.

Perhaps End has all his past issues bound in vellum and on his bookshelf ready to access that little gem of an idea from Kenny Stuart on descending/training or find out what Robb Jebb has for breakfast, but I'm not that organised.

Oscar, the ball is in your court! Get organised! Hill going is all about looking after yourself; not expecting others to do it all for you.

The BMC make Summit articles available for everyone on their website when the next article is due out, good way of doing it:

http://thebmc.co.uk/FeaturesSummary.aspx?category=16

Oscar, the ball is in your court! Get organised! Hill going is all about looking after yourself; not expecting others to do it all for you.
    My comment about not being that organised was not an attempt at self criticism. I was using it to emphasise my point which was essentially a request to make some magazine articles more accessible which is what the internet is extemely useful for. The positive, web savvy responses from Dominion and IanR reflect this.
    Last edited by Oscar; 04-02-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Fellhound

I suppose one of the problems is that the FRA is a subscription financed organisation. They must want to keep some stuff to 'members only' - otherwise there would be little incentive to join, the membership would go into decline and the association would ultimately fold.

Having said that, as a reasonably regular contributor to The Fellrunner I would have no objection, personally, to any of my articles going onto the website. These articles are contributed free and are thus not what you might call valuable copyrighted material!

I've no axe to grind here, just raising a couple of new angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    I suppose one of the problems is that the FRA is a subscription financed organisation. They must want to keep some stuff to 'members only' - otherwise there would be little incentive to join, the membership would go into decline and the association would ultimately fold.

Having said that, as a reasonably regular contributor to The Fellrunner I would have no objection, personally, to any of my articles going onto the website. These articles are contributed free and are thus not what you might call valuable copyrighted material!

I've no axe to grind here, just raising a couple of new angles.

In the past something I wrote gratis (but was my copyright) ended up in a commercially published book: no fee, no acknowledgement. I thought that was a bit cheeky.

I have some articles (eg Classic Fell Races) on the FRA website and I have never had a problem with that. They were put on after an earlier "Oscar type" request.

Oscar mentions Profiles and I have written seven for TFM. I think I am writing them for paid-up FRA members, not for just anyone who accesses the FRA website.

I have recently profiled Angela Mudge. I drove 480 miles and spent at least two days on the piece. It is 3600 words and it is accurate. It was cleared with Angela.

Angela has a profile on Wikipedia. It is anonymous and slightly annoys Angela: it contains silly errors. However when any journalist writes about Angela they often lazily lift chunks off the Wikipedia profile (including The Times recently!). If the Angela Mudge FRA Profile goes on the FRA website, search engines will pick it up and any paid journalist has a 3600 word start on anything they wish to write about Angela.

Now I am happy to freely write for TFM and I have had 30 articles published so far and never received a penny. But I am a teeny bit wary of my stuff being lifted by who knows whom and where without any acknowledgement to the author.

I don't think that makes me an egomaniac. I think it just means I care where and how my words re-appear. After all, they are my words.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 05-02-2008 at 09:25 AM.