Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakeland 100

Master

Re: Lakeland 100

Thanks Chris best get the CCC site booked
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    Looks like a money making crock of shite for people who have never been out of their back garden without someone holding their hand.
    Couldn't disagree more.

To condemn a race that's never been run as a "crock of shite" without knowing anything about the route and the organisation seems *way* premature. As to "money making", if it is, so what? Is making a profit so bad? It might mean that the race becomes a regular event rather than a one-year-wonder.

I think anybody who is prepared to organise a new event of this length and *only* charge £75 should be congratulated, not slated.

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    Couldn't disagree more.

To condemn a race that's never been run as a "crock of shite" without knowing anything about the route and the organisation seems *way* premature. As to "money making", if it is, so what? Is making a profit so bad? It might mean that the race becomes a regular event rather than a one-year-wonder.

I think anybody who is prepared to organise a new event of this length and *only* charge £75 should be congratulated, not slated.
    It's your 75 quid, and as you say it is a free market.

I just can't see the challege of running round a bunch of footpaths and bridleways following a downloaded GPS route.

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amadablam View Post
    I mostly agree but I don't think 75 quid is that bad for a hundred mile race. Getting permission must be a pain in the lakes and I'm surprised that they have managed to do it because of Park authority etc.
    The GPS bit is crazy - loads of fell runners don't even owe one so they have reduced their market already.

However it is great that there is a market for events like this and hopefully someone soon will get it right and put on a great 100 mile race that might stop us having to go to france or the US.
    Do you really believe they have got permission for it. Don't be daft!

Is this event really very different to the the LDWA events, other than the route being on a GPS rather than a printed sheet? (yes, I know the LDWA events are 'non-competitive', but tell that to the guys at the front)

Not many LDWA events, not even the 100, cost £75 to enter.

Wouldn't have a clue how to turn a GPS on, let alone use one. Hope this isn't the way some events will go in the future - well actually I don't really care, because I simply won't enter them.

So it's 75p a mile
    or £3.75 per hour (given 5mph)

100 entries they receive £75.00 per mile covered.
    or £375 per hour.
    and £7,500 total.
    Is my maths right?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Have you heard of the edge of wales walk, that is done by some company giving out GPS units.

Could be a business opoortunity, recce all routes perfectly, record rout to GPS and hire out the devices for others to recce, :-)

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    It's your 75 quid, and as you say it is a free market.

I just can't see the challege of running round a bunch of footpaths and bridleways following a downloaded GPS route.
    We'll if you look at it that way - the Ultra Trail du mont blanc is the same but you don't have to even look at a GPS just follow the refective tape!! You'd be right if it was only a short race - 100 is different.

Although I absolutely love the KIMM, LAmm, wasdale, duddon, ennerdale, fellsman etc etc and the freedom to nav and make you own decisions- the UTMB is by far my best event and my biggest achievement. Whatever way you look at it 100 miles is a very very long way. Most (maybe including even you) will probably be very thankfully that they haven't had to nav after mile 80!
    All the US ones are marked as well - some run around the same circuit a number of times. Not very exciting but still to complete the distance is a fantastic achievement.

'I just can't see the challege of running round a bunch of footpaths and bridleways following a downloaded GPS route.'

Does make you wonder how many 24 hr/100 mile runs he's done?

The UTMB is £90 quid and for that you get total support.