Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakeland 100

Re: Lakeland 100

i see the point about GPS's then, and that would have put me off. i don't own one and i would have bought one just to do this.

"looks like a money making crock of shit" hardly a glowing appraisal

Quote Originally Posted by straggler View Post
    "looks like a money making crock of shit" hardly a glowing appraisal
    For a fell runner anything over £1.50 is considered pricey..

Forgive me for this, but if it sails your boat do it, if for whatever reason you don't agree with it don't do it
    People must have gone to an effort to try and sort it out, OK they may make a bit of money out of it, but most work to earn a living
    Going to try again....

Have to say I quite fancy it.....maybe the 50 for this year though owing to lack of running miles of late...

Putting on an ultra race is a mamouth task. As the co-organiser for the Hardmoors 110 i know first hand how difficult, time consuming and of course expensive it can be.
    It annoys me that people think that Ultra are getting expensive. Well so is everthing else, including paying to implament a race. Organisers put these events on with the number one priority being the safety of their runners. All measures and therefore expenses are incurred to cover the safety of the participants.
    Our 110 mile race costs £60 to enter and you do not need a GPS system, yet we have still recieved criticism for the price.
    I certainly agree that to fell runners, anything over £1.50 is expensive.
    As organisers we are not making one penny of profit. Any funds over and above cost are to be donated to the local search and rescue team, once again, in order to augment the sense of our runners' safety.

I think that the more ultra events that the british fell running scene can get the better. If we can draw overseas runners and greater competition is that not what makes a race great?

Good on the Lakeland100 for undertaking a great task and bringing us what looks to be a brilliant event!

I have read the Road book for the 50 (second half of the 100) and it is great.
    I will be entering as it is a chance to participate in a challenge on my door step, which I would otherwise have to go all the way to France to do.

Iam Looking forward to it and yes I will be taking my GPS.

I have no problem or favourite with Trail races, road races or fell races. Its all running to me. Why people are quick to slag off a new event even when they say they dont even like trail running is beyond me.

each to their own, surely?
    let the good times roll.

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Have to say I quite fancy it.....maybe the 50 for this year though owing to lack of running miles of late...
    Emmi are you serious about this i would not mind a crack at the 50 its an average of 2.5 mph to reach cut off times so even i could reach that sort of pace. i just need to confirm that Mick is not doing his BGR
    Going to try again....

I think people are concerned that some of the practices/rules from events like this will increasingly find their way in to fell running. This isn't a fell race as far as I'm concerned, so I've no problem with it at all - but I am worried that people coming across to the fells from this and other types of event will want more structured/organised fell races - such as we are seeing on this forum with requests for detailed maps, discussion of use of GPS, mobile phones etc. If people want to do this sort of event with that sort of technical back up and support thats fine but please dont try and change fell races in to something along those lines, I like them the way they are, and I suspect a lot of others feel the same way. You wouldn't join a golf club and ask for the little holes to be made bigger (would you?) and I dont suppose you would canvass the organisers of a marathon to make it 25 miles instead of 26, but there seems to be an increasing level of demand to make fell running 'safer' and 'easier'

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    Forgive me for this, but if it sails your boat do it, if for whatever reason you don't agree with it don't do it
    People must have gone to an effort to try and sort it out, OK they may make a bit of money out of it, but most work to earn a living
    yeah definatley.....the 50 anyway...I'm not running enough miles with all the cycling to get me up to the 100 distance in time so soon after the IM....... I've a 12 hour TT in August though as well I think so I'll just check the dates don't clash and get back to you!!

hhhhhmmmm I keep flicking onto the site and I just cannot decide if I want to do it or not?

I have no objections to the kit list but I am just unsure if I want to do the 100 or the 50? Or if I am going to train up to a 100 mile run then do it away from a race and do my own route in my own way?

Just seems a waste to run all that way in a race? Does that make sense? Doesn't seem as much fun as your own route your own way?

How long would it take to recover from a 100 miler by the way? Month?