Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Using a gps as backup in race?

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Re: Using a gps as backup in r

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    What's the difference between following a compas bearing on a compas and following the same bearings on an electronic display? Have you never written a list of bearings on your hand to dial into your compas at set points on a route to give you the best line/most appropriate line? The only advantage I could see was that it told you have far off the target bearing you were. I'm not talking about following a pre-loaded route from a gps device, that's a different thing altogether.
    I was talking about using a preloaded route. But just having checkpoints in your gps could give you an advantage in clag on some races.

oh... I can feel the steam rising from certain luddites on the forum about this one! I don't see any harm at all in having a sealed GPS in your bum-bag for use in emergencies. If the clag comes in sometimes even the most experienced navigators can become disorientated and having the fall back of being about to switch on a GPS unit a see exactly where you are quickly could be the difference between someone getting off the hill quickly or wandering around trying to find a compass bearing, getting hypothermia and MR getting a shout that could have been prevented. We have the technology why not use it?

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    I was talking about using a preloaded route. But just having checkpoints in your gps could give you an advantage in clag on some races.
    In what way? The distance to target bit or the ease of selecting the next bearing? I recced the route, selected the bearings, put them in, and followed because it was misty. I have done the same thing with a compas before by dialling in pre determined bearings and that worked just as well as a GPS compas - is that cheating or just good planning?
    What is worrying is that people with no navigational skills will upload the route and depend on that to find their way around the course and when it breaks or the battery runs down they will be screwed.

I read some race details somewhere recently that said you could carry a GPS for emergency use, but it had to be sealed by the organiser at registration. If you broke the seal you got disqualified. Seemed fair enough. You could seal it in the same bag as your PLB.
    There's an awful lot of people running round with Garmin 305's on in races these days..... (Me included, although I haven't figured out how to use it to navigate with! )

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    There's an awful lot of people running round with Garmin 305's on in races these days..... (Me included, although I haven't figured out how to use it to navigate with! )
    I have sussed the compas bit out and find it great, but following an uploaded route seems more bother than it's worth (on the 305 anyway) but I haven't wasted much time figuring it out as I don't intend using it. I just enjoy looking at the spikey graphs when I get back

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

In what way? The distance to target bit or the ease of selecting the next bearing? I recced the route, selected the bearings, put them in, and followed because it was misty. I have done the same thing with a compas before by dialling in pre determined bearings and that worked just as well as a GPS compas - is that cheating or just good planning?
    What is worrying is that people with no navigational skills will upload the route and depend on that to find their way around the course and when it breaks or the battery runs down they will be screwed.
    But a GPS tells you where you are in relation to the checkpoint, making it much easier to find - just follow the arrow!

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I read some race details somewhere recently that said you could carry a GPS for emergency use, but it had to be sealed by the organiser at registration. If you broke the seal you got disqualified. Seemed fair enough. You could seal it in the same bag as your PLB.
    It's the High Peak Marathon, which given that you run a good proportion, if not most of it in the dark is a reasonable safety backup. Not sure how many have actually used it though.

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    But a GPS tells you where you are in relation to the checkpoint, making it much easier to find - just follow the arrow!
    The electronic compas emulation is just that, a big thick arrow pointing the way and a distance countdown. No other map info displayed. I guess all devices vary but that's how I set mine up for the checkpoints.

I can forsee an end to the use of traditional map and compas though in years to come, it's bound to happen and will be another art form lost.

I can forsee an end to the use of traditional map and compas though in years to come, it's bound to happen and will be another art form lost.
    I don't think so - in order to get a master's license for shipping you have to have proficiency in the following:

Celestial Navigation Ability to use celestial bodies to determine the ship's position
    Terrestrial and Coastal Navigation
    Ability to determine the ship's position by use of:
    .1 landmarks
    .2 aids to navigation, including lighthouses, beacons and buoys
    .3 dead reckoning, taking into account winds, tides, currents and estimated speed
    Thorough knowledge of and ability to use navigational charts and publications, such as sailing directions, tide tables, notices to mariners, radio navigational warnings and ships' routeing information

Basically a ship's captain or master has to be able to navigate without any electronic aids. I don't see that requirement being dropped any time soon.

On land, well it's a different matter, but batteries have a habit of packing up when least expected or wanted. Also there are always going to be some form of maps for administrative purposes.

No its not cheating. Its quicker, IMO, to use a map, but its a navigational aid. I've never carried a GPS on a fell race, and now rarely bother at any time, but they have their uses. I'm sure a race organiser would prefer you to get around a course safely with one, that spend hours lost without one.

I still think over half of runners could not relocate themselves if they found themselves, lost on compex or featureless terrain. Most would run around blindly, form groups, and eventually meet someone who knows the way.