Thread: Tapering?

Tapering?

So what is the rule for tapering?

I have a few busy months coming up and I am conscious of just running myself into the ground doing so. Also wary of losing endurance fitness through having race, taper, race cycle meaning not getting many mid week milage or long runs in?

Calender goes something like this

wk1 - 5 hour score event
    wk2 - 5 hour adventure race (2hr running 3 hr biking)
    wk3 - Wuthering Hike
    wk4 - nothing
    wk5 - nothing
    wk6 - Calderdale Hike
    wk7 - 6 hour adventure race (3 hours running and 3 on the bike)
    wk8 - 3 peaks
    wk9 - nothing
    wk10 Fellsman

I have heard that 3 weeks is the ideal time for tapering but that isn't really an option as I want to do all the races. I am not hassling the podium but I want to do as well as I can and get to the end of it all with my legs in one piece.

So question is what should I be doing mid-week? In the gap weeks what should I do?

Any advice appreciated

Re: Tapering?

Tony
    Not sure if this is what you mean but I did lots of big stuff last year but I only consiously tapered for the BG and the Fellsman. The other big races I eased back with three or four days to go and as long as I felt comfortable I kept on training.

So from my point of view I'd say what are your priorities, if it's the BG then focus on that and start to ease back a month before the big day.

so what are your main targets for the year?

No BG for me this year. Not a chance

Main aim is to finish and feel I have put in my best effort considering, no more no less. Oh and not to get injured before the Fellsman due to overtraining.

Well slight lie, would like a top 3 in the adventure races and I am knocking on the door of that. These bloody dark peakers keep getting in the way though

Will be the first time I have done these running races as was not running until June last year so always of the idea that first year is about enjoying and getting a grip on them and then I will go for eyeballs out next year.

You got me thinking though and will probably use the longer races as training type runs (if I can hold the racing monster back) in the lead up to the Fellsman and aim for a good 3 peaks and adventure races. Maybe cut back a bit on the training between races but continue to do light fast stuff as my legs can feel quite dead the week after a long un. Get using the bike more mid-week?

My main goals for the year are in July/August/Sept and Oct (3 MM's and a certain long run round the peaks) so these are great stepping stones to a longer goal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    So what is the rule for tapering?
    It isn't for fell runners.

Quote Originally Posted by Apedale View Post
    It isn't for fell runners.

Fair comment!

I'll get my coat....Maybe disappear to runners world and talk about 10k times?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post

Fair comment!

I'll get my coat....Maybe disappear to runners world and talk about 10k times?
    Good one.

I just left there and when I came on here it was all about GPS and tapering.

Banned

Apedale's rule on tapering for fell runners:

Train hard - run a race.

I would say that you have to split your year in to quarters approx.

Pick your main target and taper for it, otherwise your tapering every couple of weeks - impossible.

If you want a good 3 peaks and Fellsman (and bear in mind I am talking from theory not practice) I would taper for the 3 peaks, and then do nothing intense before the Fellsman.
    Take everything else as training before the 3 peaks.

I don't like tapering, well not too hard. Another thing I can't understand people who'll take 3 or 4 weeks off after a marathon either.
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Quote Originally Posted by mxhornet View Post
    I don't like tapering, well not too hard. Another thing I can't understand people who'll take 3 or 4 weeks off after a marathon either.
    If you've trained properly for a marathon then your body's taken a battering from the training as much as the race itself. You can't sustain an intense level of training indefinately.