Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inov8's & blisters

Inov8's & blisters

I am really strugling with my mudclaw 330's with heel blisters. I had the 290's before and no fit issues (they just dropped to bits). I seem to remember some talk of steaming the heel to soften - can anyone elaborate on this as I am ready to put them in the sales & wants section and get a different shoe.

Re: Inov8's & blisters

Heard varying reports of sucess with this technique.

Basically hold the heel cup part of the shoe over a steaming kettle for anything from 10 seconds to over a minute. Probably best to start with 10 seconds and work up!

The heel cup should soften, put the shoe on and walk around in it until it cools down. It should then set in a shape that is less abrasive to your heel.

Good luck!

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Copious amounts of vaseline can also be useful.

I think Luath's method is what Pete Bland's recommend, though strangely they never tell you this when you buy a pair.

Thanks, need to do somthing, I only have to look at them and my heels twitch. Nice comfy road shoes tommoz, I'll 'adjust' them before Wednesday. May also try cutting a little more from the front of my orthotics as this may be pushing the heel higher than normal and contributing to the problem.

I had prob's with mine and almost parted with them, I found that on long up-hills my heel felt like it was coming out. I reckon though I could've gone a half size down to get over this prob, but in the end bought the 3mm replacement insole and this seems to have done the job.

I'll probably try a different shoe next time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    I had prob's with mine and almost parted with them, I found that on long up-hills my heel felt like it was coming out. I reckon though I could've gone a half size down to get over this prob, but in the end bought the 3mm replacement insole and this seems to have done the job.

I'll probably try a different shoe next time though.
    This is the issue I have, I suspect a 1/2 size down would have been better too. Will look around on the web for the 3mm insoles (may also try my road shoe insoles to see if that helps).

Banned

Hi Ady,
    The is a copy of an e-mail that Mrs Stagger received for inov-8 on the subject of steaming the heel.

• Remove the footbeds and go for a short run. This will establish if heel depth is a causative factor.

2. Replace the standard 6mm footbeds with a 3mm footbeds.

3. Reshape the heel section by applying heat to the thermoplastic heel counter. Steam the inner heel area of the shoe with steam from a kettle (Please exercise caution when doing this) for approximately 30-60 seconds or until the heel counter softens. Put the shoes on immediately that the temperature allows, and go for a short walk or run. The polymer heel counter is a thermosetting polymer and will reform to the new heel shape for a custom fit.

Disclaimer:

Extreme caution should be exercised when using steam and handling the heated product. This information is provided for guidance and does not constitute an agreement between you and inov-8. Neither inov-8 nor it affiliates can and will accept any liability for injuries caused.

Thanks for that Stagger, I want to leave this as a last option, may even try and trade 'em if it gets to that.............

Good luck with the 3mm, they sorted the problem out for me. I do reckon that the 330's are a lot longer than the rocklites (I'm fine in my normal size in these). My theory is that the 330's are designed with a lot of steep descent in mind - so you don't bang your toes too much... Personally I like to be as close to the end of the shoe as is comfortable.

Ady, I had the same problem when I bought my pair. I did the steaming bit and also now apply vaseline to my heel whenever I wear them. Now I've got used to them they are quite comfy - not looking forward to when I buy a new pair though. Prefer Walsh's, but on long rocky Lakes races they don't give my delicate feet enough protection.