Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Uphill

novice

Running Uphill

So I'm slowly getting fitter and faster but still have to start walking at the slightest sign of an uphill.

My question is should I actually bother about trying to train for running up hills or would I be better accepting walking uphills and trying to improve speed on the flat and descending?

Re: Running Uphill

No you have to run up hill

When I run on my own I always run all the hills if humanly possible and feel very disappointed if ever I have to stop running. Its also important to resist the urge to not run for as long as possible as you'll be surprised what a little bit of stubborness will achieve. If the mere whiff of a slope stops you from running, you are seriously going to struggle in a fell race. Mind you alot of the fell races in the Lakes have such steep ascents that running them is all but impossible anyway.

You have to run up the hills as it will give you confidence as you pass those runners who are walking, thinking to themselves this is to steep to run up.

Chris

I'll let you into a secret.

Rob Jebb doesn't run all the way up all the hills. I know because I've followed him.

Now I'm in trouble!!

Just make sure you never EVER stop running until you are out of sight of the nearest walkers .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'll let you into a secret.

Rob Jebb doesn't run all the way up all the hills. I know because I've followed him.

Now I'm in trouble!!
    That make me feel a lot better knowing that Chris.

Any more snipits for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Just make sure you never EVER stop running until you are out of sight of the nearest walkers .
    Last time I tried that trick I realised 5 minutes later that I was on the wrong path, but couldn't bear the embarrassment of turning round and passing the same walkers again, so had to add 2 miles to my route.

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    Last time I tried that trick I realised 5 minutes later that I was on the wrong path, but couldn't bear the embarrassment of turning round and passing the same walkers again, so had to add 2 miles to my route.
    Or when you trip over racing past some walkers, turn that into a half arsed forward roll (over rocks of course) get up and carry on running in embarrassed silence....

while the walkers chortle to themselves and then belly laugh when you're 100 metres away

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Or when you trip over racing past some walkers, turn that into a half arsed forward roll (over rocks of course) get up and carry on running in embarrassed silence....

while the walkers chortle to themselves and then belly laugh when you're 100 metres away
    Laugh back at them, works for me, if your running and they're walkers, they'll never catch you What's wrong with a full arse over apex Stolly? Practice in the comfort of your own home until your an expert, then show them walkers who's the man
    Hills and Guinness!

Not sure where I read this advice (possibly on this Forum - 10 top tips?), but I've found it to be effective. The advice was to 'start running at the foot of the hill at the rate you expect to achieve near the top'. i.e take your time and aim for a steady cadence, even if its a very slow pace with very small steps. Don't worry about speed, just keep those legs twirling.

As a 'nearing 50 year old' newbie myself, I've found following this advice led quickly to a dramatic improvement in my uphill running ability (and just as importantly my confidence). Once you've cracked the technique it's a real adrenaline rush knowing that YES, EVEN YOU CAN DO IT and you start looking for steeper gradients to apply the technique to.

Hope that helps.