Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower working week?

Banned

Lower working week?

After considering early retirement or part time working, I was wondering how the lucky ones fill there time?

Holidays, gardening, golf and keeping fit (cycling, swimming and gym) spring to mind but what other areas might I be missing out on please?

Super Moderator
    Boredom, senility and early onset dementia. Keep working

I'm retiring from Mental Health nursing in February when I turn 50. It's a reduced pension but I've done 25 years. I'll still need to work but it'll be only 15-20 hours. I'm lining up work in the local health centre as a life guard, swimming instructor and already take Pilates classes so will take on more classes.
    I'm looking forward to the change, it'll certainly be less stressful than my current job. I started the process 3 years ago, coming out of a management position back to nursing, opening a BnB and dropping my hours so it won't be a huge shock.
    Like you, I'm hoping to increase my fitness and get out more etc. I doubt very much that I'll be winning my new age category though!
    I'm hoping to do more travelling with my wife too. The big dream is to only work the BnB and job over the summer months and over winter in Spain.
    My big fear us that I'll spend all day watching telly. Good luck.

I took voluntary redundancy in 2006, did agency/part time work till this time last year, jacked that in and done nothing since, highly recommended.

4 granddaughters aged four, one and three months keeps us busy, gym at lesst 3 times a week, holidays (we've got five trips abroad either done or booked this year), just started playing over 50's football. Also having not been to a live match for years I've started watching football again, just picking random games,we've been to Everton, Wigan, Celtic, Burnley and England, Newcastle pencilled in for early next season.

Never regretted finishing for a minute

It sounds like you don’t need anything else to fill your time with Stagger with the list that you already have I suppose the only worry is that folk who retire early have enough cash to see them through potentially 30/ 40 or more years without a wage, my old fella and my father in law went in their 50s when the bottom dropped out of the interest rates so my old fella ended up working part time until he was 71 and the father in law and mother in law have downsized and have downsized again but both are still going strong knocking on 30 years later.
    I’m with DT on this, I’ll keep working til I drop, I still like being on the tools with a bit of office work thrown in but if it suits and it works go for it and enjoy, as I said it looks like with your plans that you’d struggle to fit owt else in.

Banned
    Some good food for thought.

No way will full time be an option in a couple of years when I'm 60.

Superannuation scheme is a cracking pension and working on current figures. I can go half post at 60, draw my pension, stop paying pension and be better off.

Would be a no brainer. Need to get to 67 then for the state pension to kick in.

Needs ways to make sure the weeks full but not of work.

Beekeeping. Art classes. Musical instrument. I'm quite looking forward to stuff like that. I'm not sure I've got the patience for art though.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Boredom, senility and early onset dementia. Keep working
    Aye, keep working Trev. Someone needs to keep topping up my pension pot.

Just off into the garage to prep the bike for tomorrow's all day ride to the S. Lakes (Knipe Tarn).

Ian.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Aye, keep working Trev. Someone needs to keep topping up my pension pot.

Just off into the garage to prep the bike for tomorrow's all day ride to the S. Lakes (Knipe Tarn).

Ian.
    Ha ha ha that's my point Ian.

Longer bike rides required.
    More golf
    Better garden
    More gym

Time is precious money is not a problem.

Nature photography. Get a decent camera.