Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gritstone Any Time Challenge

Re: Gritstone Any Time Challen

Finally got around to giving this a crack yesterday,clockwise, lovely route, excellent views, it was a bit chilly on the summits, feet were like blocks of ice, was glad to get some warmth back in them on the road section from Flash.
    Finish time 4:37, made a few mistakes on route choice, with a bit less mud hopefully should knock a chunk off next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Wain View Post
    Finally got around to giving this a crack yesterday,clockwise, lovely route, excellent views, it was a bit chilly on the summits, feet were like blocks of ice, was glad to get some warmth back in them on the road section from Flash.
    Finish time 4:37, made a few mistakes on route choice, with a bit less mud hopefully should knock a chunk off next time!
    Hi Wain,
    Nice one. Its a great route.

Please let me know if/when you do it again.

Cheers

Tim

Hey Tim,
    Happy New Year!!
    Took your advice and started from the Cragg Inn, getting shuttlow out of way first, good thinking!
    Watching the sun set from the roaches on the way back was magic!
    Will be having another go soon, will give you a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by Wain View Post
    Hey Tim,
    Happy New Year!!
    Took your advice and started from the Cragg Inn, getting shuttlow out of way first, good thinking!
    Watching the sun set from the roaches on the way back was magic!
    Will be having another go soon, will give you a shout.
    Sounds like you had a great run :thumbup:

What a beautiful round! Had a go today - very dry underfoot, started at Goldstitch, going clockwise. It took me 4:19, dogs are still sleeping. Will have a go again, to try to see what can be done to avoid the road section.

I decided to do this yesterday instead of driving for 3.5 hours to and back from Pendle Cloughs. I'd done the 4 trigs last weekend, so just needed to add in The Roaches this time. I did it in 4:08, starting from my house (between Roaches) and Shutlingsloe and then going clockwise.

I've been trying to decide whether the route I took from Axe Edge to Roaches is the fastest or not. I did consider going via Flash or nearer to Three Shires Head. I've had a bit of a play on Anquet, and the way I took is the fastest according to my unmodified Naysmith. If you're going to try this, the tricky bit is 018669 to 017661. I've done this on a few other runs, so know it reasonably well, but you might need a 1:50,000 for this bit.

I've attached a screengrab of the route. From Axe trig, I followed the good path vaguely South to the road, then you can cut across near the grouse butts to pick up the other path. Attachment 6093
    Last edited by noel; 06-05-2012 at 08:55 AM.

maddaddy

I've done this once and going to have a go again next week. Last time I got confused in the goyt valley - so when you drop down from Burbage edge to the road to pick up the path to head up to shining tor do you go right or left on the road to find the path

Quote Originally Posted by maddaddy View Post
    I've done this once and going to have a go again next week. Last time I got confused in the goyt valley - so when you drop down from Burbage edge to the road to pick up the path to head up to shining tor do you go right or left on the road to find the path
    er... straight across the road!
    there's a trod (not marked on map) that goes diagonally up to the right to the gate into the woods at 01365 73028

oh, and wrt noel's route, it's worth being aware that there's sometimes grouse shooting along Drystone Edge and if the red flags are out you'll have to use the Dane Valley Way instead
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 24-05-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

maddaddy

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    er... straight across the road!
    there's a trod (not marked on map) that goes diagonally up to the right to the gate into the woods at 01365 73028

oh, and wrt noel's route, it's worth being aware that there's sometimes grouse shooting along Drystone Edge and if the red flags are out you'll have to use the Dane Valley Way instead
    Thanks - last time got round the rest ok but made a real mess in the goyt valley - I will find that trod and ignore the map