Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planet Fear Article

Planet Fear Article

Already posted this on 3 peaks entry for Nats, but me and GrahamB thinks it deserves its own thread.
    http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=1061
    Hills and Guinness!

Re: Planet Fear Article

A good article.

Ironically on-line entry races can still end up with less than full fields on the day; I was late sending in my Carnethy entry and was given position 76 in the waiting list for a 500 runner race. Now I don't know how many runners on the waiting list got given places but I do know that only 461 runners appeared on the results sheet. Obviously no-one turned up on the day

Mind you the flip side of having a turn up on the day policy could mean anything from a handful to a 1000 turning up

Yes good article. apart from the previous comments on the three peak thread I think it was a bad planning running the Eng champs along side the Worlds, this in it's self would have generated enough interested.

too many eggs in one basket methinks

A very good article. The only bit I would disagree with is:

"If we take the example of the Three Peaks Race, the 2008 Three Peaks filled up within two days
    of entries opening with entry available on-line only. Such a response was somewhat unexpected."

I think most of us expected it!

I certainly agree with the last paragraph having had three great runs around the Edale Skyline, the
    West Pennine Moors and the Goyt Valley in the last week. Pendle tomorrow - If I can find my waterproofs!

It would probably be to the benefit of the sport as a whole if runners lost a bit of their sheep mentality when it comes to selecting races to enter.
    Now we are called sheep.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Senior Member pauljonesforengland's Avatar

They've not stated one of the most obvious problems - forums!! Just teliing everyone out there what a good time can be had by joining in. You know the type, egging each other on. ..'who's doing this race'.. etc Ban them!

Sheep?

Yes I reckon that's a reasonable description.

Lots of posts on here demonstrate an lack of original thinking by many forumites.

Got to do that race you recommended - please show me where it goes - next weekend?
    You don't really need to navigate - just follow somebody in a Dark Peak vest!
    You don't need to navigate because there's always lots and lots of other runners about!
    You don't need to worry about getting lost, getting injured or getting cold - there's a rescue team waiting to sort you out.

Sheep? - Actually, sheep are quite capable of running all day, staying warm, navigating over the hill in all conditions, looking after themselves ...

Please don't insult sheep!!

Hey YT, I like many spend alot of time running old and new routes solo so turning up to a race knowing that there are other runners to follow, race marshalls, checkpoints and race sweepers does make entering them (even at the last minute) quite alot safer than many solo runs! Its not so much being a sheep as going for a softer option for a change

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post
    Sheep?

Yes I reckon that's a reasonable description.

Lots of posts on here demonstrate an lack of original thinking by many forumites.

Got to do that race you recommended - please show me where it goes - next weekend?
    You don't really need to navigate - just follow somebody in a Dark Peak vest!
    You don't need to navigate because there's always lots and lots of other runners about!
    You don't need to worry about getting lost, getting injured or getting cold - there's a rescue team waiting to sort you out.

Sheep? - Actually, sheep are quite capable of running all day, staying warm, navigating over the hill in all conditions, looking after themselves ...

Please don't insult sheep!!
    A bit jejune
    for your return
    from your latest sojourn?

You'll be posting that lemmings don't really leap off cliffs next.

Another Planet Fear article for your perusal
    http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=1065
    Hills and Guinness!