Thread: The Kerry Way Ultra - Sept 6/7

The Kerry Way Ultra - Sept 6/7

Not sure if this one has been mentioned before, 120 miles of a run with amazing scenery in the SW of Ireland, near the famous Ring of Kerry Road.

http://www.kerrywayultra.com/

Would involve a circuit of the Reeks and Dunkerron mountain ranges, starting and finishing in Killarney, with everything from stretches across upland bog to oakwoods over mountains and valleys down to the Atlantic Coast. Spectacular setting.
    Last edited by Conor74; 05-06-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Re: The Kerry Way Ultra - Sept

Quote Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
    Not sure if this one has been mentioned before, 120 miles of a run with amazing scenery in the SW of Ireland, near the famous Ring of Kerry Road.

http://www.kerrywayultra.com/

Would involve a circuit of the Reeks and Dunkerron mountain ranges, starting and finishing in Killarney, with everything from stretches across upland bog to oakwoods over mountains and valleys down to the Atlantic Coast. Spectacular setting.

This looks great.

Bugger - there is no way I can get time off in Sept- wish it was a week or so earlier! Have never been there.

Kerry would be comparable to the lake district, but on a bigger scale. The main ridge there "the Macgillycuddy's Reeks" has something like seven 3000 foot tops and two aretes. It will be an impressive trail run.

Lucky enough to live beside the Kerry Way. The scenery here is pretty breathtaking, have hiked along all of it and run sections of it and it's just beautiful. Last year saw the first known successful effort to run it, so guess they are hoping to develop on that.

Spent two weeks with my partner walking and wild camping in Beara and then Kerry this time last year - shite weather (but it was here too) but really seriously wild mountains - really enjoyed it and hope to be back, but at a leisurely pace. You are indeed a lucky man Conor!
    "You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"

Quote Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
    Spent two weeks with my partner walking and wild camping in Beara and then Kerry this time last year - shite weather (but it was here too) but really seriously wild mountains - really enjoyed it and hope to be back, but at a leisurely pace. You are indeed a lucky man Conor!
    The clubbing scene is pretty limited here, particularly deep house...but apart from that it's all good!

Have bagged all the summits in the Cahas, Mangertons, Reeks and Dunkerrons and live between them all, in Kenmare. The weather is the only drawback of course, it rains here more than other areas in the country, and the difference between this and say the east coast is noticeable.

I went to the Balearic Islands in November time 12 yrs ago on my honeymoon to do some hill walking. To be honest I found the hills there a bit parched. All of the rain in Snowdonia, Co Kerry, Lakes, Scotland, etc. gives us the mountains we have and I would not have them any other way

Apparently the organisers are in touch with UTMB and are hoping it qualifies for 4 points.