Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salford 10k 21.03.08

Salford 10k 21.03.08

Any forumites doing the Salford 10k on Good Friday? not done it before and thinking of doing it.

The race takes in a two lap course. I am assuming its around the Quays Area?

Senior Member pauljonesforengland's Avatar

Re: Salford 10k 21.03.08

Might give this one a go or and Rivington Pike the day after. This course is very flat and if you're in good shape should see you going close to PB. Sets off from Littleton Rd going north, 400 yds, then anti-clockwise, then into Langley Rd, left at the end, back onto Littleton rd -2 laps starting and finishing near the sports centre.

So no, not the glamour of Salford Quays, but plenty of speed bumps to contend with. It's probable that you'll never have run over as many in a race

Think I once did this, do you register at a school just up the hill from the start? At one point round the back side of the course you pass by a charming council estate littered with chavs jeering you on! Uninspiring but fast.

Registeration point has changed a few years ago. Now from sports centre on the main road the race takes place on. Very well equiped building, modern with changing facilities. Check out the entry form for more info.
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

I've entered rivi pike the day after but am seriously considering running a Salford. Might see how the old training pans out over the next 2/3 weeks and then I'll decide then.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Registeration point has changed a few years ago. Now from sports centre on the main road the race takes place on. Very well equiped building, modern with changing facilities. Check out the entry form for more info.
    Thinkin of doin this, is that at Salford Soprts Village on the Quays ?

Just entered for this. Worringly I've done more road races than fell this year. I'll be getting all limp wristed soon

Senior Member pauljonesforengland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post

Yep, decent sized car park too outside the sports centre but it does fill up...so get there early/car share?! last year too many were parking on littleton rd - i.e. on the course.

The Salford 10K has been going for many years and part of the calendar. I read about Ron Hill winning this on the Friday, Rivington Pike the day after then going over to East Yorks - Hull/Goole? on the Monday (someone will recall the exact race) and winning the marathon (or maybe just half was it) on Easter Monday!

It's all concrete which grinds little bits off your hip and knee joints with every stride.....but bloody hell it's fast.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

disco stan

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    Just entered for this. Worringly I've done more road races than fell this year. I'll be getting all limp wristed soon
    No chance of your right wrist getting limp greyhead.
    You should do a good time on this one pal the way you're going on the roads.
    Shame the same performance on the fells isn't there.