Thread: Walk To 'Ell And Back

Walk To 'Ell And Back

How about 15 or 30 miles on Sunday? They should allow entries on the day. I've only done the 15 mile route up to now but will be having a bash at the 30-miler this year.

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/events/brief_...?event_id=3349

Another opportunity for a good blast in the hills!

Re: Walk To 'Ell And Back

It's alright, isn't it? Chris Brown and I ran it together last year and finished first equal out of...ummmm....two.
    (The mass start of runners wasn't exactly a grand spectacle.)
    Unfortunately I'm away this year and will therefore be unable to repeat the victory. Enjoy it, and let me know what the full route's like.

So how'd it go, BritNick?

Well, Tussockface, it was absolutely glorious. The second half is higher and more rugged than the first half because it climbs almost to the apex of the M62. The route goes under the motorway past that farm that sits between the two carriageways. The moors, which look so bleak and foreboding from the comfort of a car on the M62, were expansive, grass-covered and a delight to run across. Mud and bogs were all but absent and the grass was long, ungrazed and dead for the winter. It was 'combed' into shape by the wind, while its light brown colour, highlighted by the bright sunshine, reminded me of summer drought conditions.
    After a strenuous Saturday at Grindleford I had an easy jog/walk round with a couple of friends, as evidenced by my time of 6:52. We enjoyed a nice relaxed break at the only checkpoint that served food at around halfway, where I did justice to two big barm cakes and a cup of coffee that you could have stood the spoon up in. (The caffeine kick meant that my feet hardly touched the ground as I crossed the dam wall just after the CP.) Later on we even stopped to make friends with a couple of horses and feed them mints. One of them was a miniature breed, about the size of a large dog.
    It was a fantastic day out and better weather than average, by all accounts. I only wish I'd taken my camera to capture some moments.

You paint such a vivid picture, I almost feel like I'd been there! Sounds great, must pencil it in for next year.