Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wide shoes for rough trails

wide shoes for rough trails

If the trails were smooth, road flats would work.

And they need to be light! No overbuilt tanks please. Wide toebox, snug heel fit is what I'm looking for.

Current shoe is Inov8 315. Those are nice, but would like to try something even lighter for trail races up to marathon distance. Toebox width on the 315 is just barely enough. Otherwise traction, underfoot protection are good enough most of the time.

As another reference point, I found the Inov8 285 is a toe-squeezer. and the mudroc 290 that used to fit ok is now too tight.

The La Sportiva Skylite is superlight, but apparently a narrow fit (see thread on Crosslites). What about the Inov8 F-lite 250 ?

What else is there for those of us with wide feet ? Any suggestions ? thanks.

Re: wide shoes for rough trail

Mizuno Wave Harriers suit my wide forefoot and narrow heel.
    Salomon Trailcomp2 fit well but grip is suitable for trail rather than fell.
    Also find Asics trail shoes fit well.

Not looked at the weight of each particular shoe.
    First run then beer. If no run then proceed directly to beer.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Smile Re: wide shoes for rough trail

I agree with Gyppo - go for Mizuno Waves

I have quite wide feet and can only get in Innov's if I buy a couple of sizes to big, which has led to some silly tripping on long races when tired.

I find the Waves very broad and extremely comfortable, both pairs I have I raced in as a first wear with no problems.

Also they come in 1/2 sizes are cheap if you shop around, you can find old stock (the blue coloured ones - not the girly pink ones) for between £30 - 35.00 on the internet. However though they have loads of grip and I raced the Yorkshireman and Ingleborough in them, they are are not a pure fell shoe and are not as good in very muddy conditions. That said I will be wearing them for the 3 peaks and other cat B races this year.

Thanks for the suggestions. The harriers look interesting, now just need to see if I can find them in my part of the world.

Where are you.
    Sportshoes unlimited do a mail order service.

There was a pair of size 9 Mizuno's for sale on the Sales and wants section of the forum. May still be availible if its your size and you like pink.

Thanks for the info. I am in middle-of-nowhere North Dakota, USA, where it was -10F when I woke up this morning We are so remote ... we only get 2 TV stations - used to be 3 until one of the towers blew down several years ago. No running shops here

Through the magic of the internet, I have broadened my view of off-road running and discovered fell running and found this forum, in case you were wondering what I'm doing here. Lots of good discussion of gear, shoes, etc here and I enjoy reading about your races too.

It looks like the Wave Harrier is not available in the U.S. or even on the Mizuno USA website. But in my neighborhood, I am used to trying on shoes by mail order anyway. My favorite Inov-8 dealer is in California !

I'll browse some shops and see what I can find though. My toes cannot tolerate being crammed in to too narrow shoes anymore, and I cannot tolerate wearing bricks on my feet anymore.

- 10, hguh try living in yorkshire

Have been on the Mizuno USA website and the Ascend looks very similar to the Wave, I don't think the tread is as aggressive and it like it has a bit more heel cushioning though its hard to tell from photo's, but it may be worth a try.

The Mizuno Ascend is more training shoe, where as the Harrier is more racing shoe. I like my Ascends, but they aren't as low profile as 'proper' fell shoes, so on very rough ground they can be a little unstable. All that aside, they're a good 'trail' shoe and I'd buy another pair. In fact....

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    Thanks for the info. I am in middle-of-nowhere North Dakota, USA, where it was -10F when I woke up this morning We are so remote ... we only get 2 TV stations - used to be 3 until one of the towers blew down several years ago. No running shops here
    Never mind your choice of running shoes dogrunner, what about the wildlife in your parts? Any bears, wolves, coyotes or buffalo? . Over here we have to cope with....... er cows I guess.