Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wide shoes for rough trails

Re: wide shoes for rough trail

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Never mind your choice of running shoes dogrunner, what about the wildlife in your parts? Any bears, wolves, coyotes or buffalo? . Over here we have to cope with....... er cows I guess.
    Actually you need fast shoes to keep ahead of the moose

Moose are not common but when I see one I give them wide berth. I was in Alaska last summer and all the runners there are more worried about moose than bears. I actually almost ran into one, early one foggy morning near downtown Anchorage. In my neighborhood, hmmm, also coyotes - nothing to be concerned about, large herds of cows that escaped from somebodies pasture and follow you around, the occasional mountain lion (despite no mtns), various weasels, jackrabbits, crazy kids in old pickups, and worst of all, the skunks! Especially at night. They move slowly, are not inclined to get off the trail (but it is so much easier walking on the trail than through the tall grass, plus we get to make large bipeds change course). Other than that, it is pretty tame here. No bears. I did some snowshoe running in northern Minnesota a month ago and saw lots of wolf tracks, but did not see their makers. I often run (canicross style) with one of our dogs, if it is not too hot, and if they see something furry, it will be a wild ride.

Banned

Hi Dogrunner, have you tried any of the Montrail range?
    I find the Highlander a good grippy shoe with plenty of room in the the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Hi Dogrunner, have you tried any of the Montrail range?
    I find the Highlander a good grippy shoe with plenty of room in the the end.
    I used to wear Montrail Leona Divides - I liked them - flexy, good traction, sometimes too easy to feel the sharp rocks, but very runnable. I have tried other models and they were generally too stiff, klunky, and heavy. But I have not tried the Highlander. I started wearing Inov8s and the Roclite 315 has worked pretty well, so I did not see a reason to spend the money on Highlanders. Now that I have been having circulation problems (unrelated to running) I worry more about toe-box width. But thanks for the suggestion.

I find the Highlanders a bit snug around the toes.
    First run then beer. If no run then proceed directly to beer.

My La Sportiva Fireblades just arrived and these might be the ones. I ordered 1/2 size up from my Inov8 Roclite315s and the width is noticeably wider, without too much excess in length. Can't wait to put them to the test. Tread is definitely not as aggressive as the Roclites or Harriers, but should be ok if not too muddy. They claim that their rubber is sticky for wet conditions, but I don't know what that means (I have yet to meet a wet, moss-covered rock I did not slip on). Weight is slightly more than the Roclite315s.

I was also told by Inov8 that the new Roclite 295 is wider or at least not as snug fitting in the toe box as their other shoes. I'm going to try those too, maybe as race shoes. I doubt I'd be able to get my feet into the F-lite 230s (or 250s) (and those have no tread to speak of).

btw, I inquired with MizunoUSA about the Harriers; their response was those were produced exclusively for the European market, cuz you guys are special

The quest continues ...