Thread: Noisy knees clackerty clack

Unhappy Noisy knees clackerty clack

I've got blinkin noisy knees - especially when going downstairs in the mornings when they're cold. There's no pain but i was hoping someone might be able to give me advice if they've encountered the same problem; before it becomes too bad. Stretching seems to help. Does anyone know if this is an irreversible decline, or can it be treated conservatively (i.e with physio)?

david

Re: Noisy knees clackerty clac

Mine have been doing that for years. Don't worry about it.

Master and MR

my right knee does it all the time
    when it first started in the nineties i went to see the doctor , he said wot do you use your knees for mainly, err kneelin down on steel whilst welding.
    no knee pads
    so now it clicks loads
    like david says dont worry ,

but you might worry a touch when it locks up

Thumbs up Re: Noisy knees clackerty clac

Cheers!

Good advice - i probably pay too much attention to it anyway.

Thumbs up Re: clackerty crepitus

I've since looked into it, and i think it might be known as "crepitus". Generally the rule seems to be if it aint hurting - don't worry about it, even though it's a bit alarming to hear/feel (as you said). If i'm right, there should be plenty of other people who've had it for years without pain and it might not result in anything more serious - touch wood.

Cheers.

Chris

I've got a noisy ankle. It clicks every single step I take off that foot. It is very loud ie. you can hear it from across the street. Started when I was about twelve years old and sometimes it has disappeared for a year or so. Been pretty much constant for about the last 10 years. Can't feel a thing though.

I don't like it. Surely several million clicks of the ankle joint can't be a good thing in the long term.

Anyone else experience this problem?

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

theories behind clicking joints suggest movement of gases due to pressure changes with in joint capsules, or the movement of soft tissues over bony points such as ligaments / tendons. Concern should be expressed if this causes undue pain and discomfort and disruption to activities of daily living or function, rather merely the clicking itself

onwards and upeards

Gaz

Wink Re: Noisy knees clackerty clac

Wise words Gaz. Stretching had definately helped my knees to click less. I think i may have over tight quads which become extremely tight after a long day out if i don't stretch well enough - yanking on the patella.

Creaky knees seem more normal than the sound they make suggests. Stretching has helped my graunching knee, the right one sounds horrid coming down stairs in the morning after a long run the day before. However, no pain so not to worry - even though I sometimes do!

Stretching is a good discipline to develop. Have a weekly rest day from running and just stretch for an hour (a good film on the box helps!). Do general ones as well as running specific stretches. You'll ache like hell if you ain't done it before but in a few weeks a lot of niggles just seem to go away. That book Stretching by Rob(?) Anderson is good value, dozens of stretches to get you all supple as a sappling!

Oh and being supple helps you bounce better when you screw-it on a descent!