Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: West Highland Way

West Highland Way Race

Are many doing it off here?
    What time are you after?

I'm after a below 24, I know I can complete, have done, so limping around holds no appeal, if I'm injured and going slow I'm going to drop out rather than do damage, just want a good run. Ran the Highland Fling in just under 9 hrs so should be on for an OK time.

Just want it to be this weekend as I'm fed up waiting.

Anyway what are your plans for the weekend? I planned a good hill run as normal but the wife reckons its taper time, I was going to drop the milage from Wednesday next week.

Cheers

Iain

Re: West Highland Way Race

Good luck to all those ultra runners taking part in the WHW race this weekend - John K, I look forward to hearing how you got on.

Master

You will at some point get a blow by blow account, David, thanks for the good wishes and i hope your injury has resolved itself and the pacing session goes according to plan not sure who the contender is but wish them well for me.

Still tempted by the Larig on Sunday
    The older I get the Faster I was

Good Luck mate. hope it all goes to plan. Long term dream of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

Just want it to be this weekend as I'm fed up waiting.

Iain
    Well come on then, where's the report?!

I saw you at Lundavra as you passed through (where I was marshalling) and at the prizegiving.

How are you today? How did you find it? How does it compare with other long distance events you've done? Will you do it again?

Well done on a great performance! (13th out of 76 finishers - 105 starters), 21:26:30.

Regards

Tim

Cheers,

Not great today, but improving each day. I managed to walk down some steps today.

My wifes put a bit on our Blog:
    http://sarzmountainrun.blogspot.com/

I've done shorter ultra's but 96 miles is a long way. I found this one harder than anything I've doen before, but getting to glen nevis before dark is a massive boost, that second night out is awful, I've been there twice and it really depresses you.

Unfortunately I know I can do (fairly sure anyway)a sub 20 hr WHW after doing that time while having a shocker, so I will be back. My wife, who was running with me (who ran 45 miles with me or to meet me) is also now tempted by an attempt.

Thanks for the marshalling, Lundavras such a key point because it helps the runner to break up that last leg mentally. The atnosphere there is also really good, with the fire going, and everyone's starting to see the end so even the runners are able to enjoy it a bit.

We headed off straight away, my support crews missus is pregnant and she was a bit tired, she was probably Ok to hang around but we all worry about her and treat her like an invalid which no doubt annoys her, but she'd spent the last 8 hours of the race with us as well. She was at Lundavra, Blond haired girl, and a very sheffield sounding lad.

I had 2 main issues, sickness which started at Balmaha, and lack of body heat control, no idea why but I just couldn't feel my temperature. I'd be shivering but sure I was OK without a top on, then I'd put a top on, feel sick and spew again.

Managed to keep a shuffle going most of way so even at the worst stages held a 15 min / mile pace. I rarely stopped for more than a few minutes which does help I reckon. 10 minutes or so at each checkpoint all adds up by the end.

Cheers

Iain

Hi Iain,

Reading your wife's blog makes me wonder whether or not you were suffering form heat stroke.

Getting goose bumps and throwing up whilst feeling hot are charactersitic symptoms and the goosebumps may well have convinced your wife that you were feeling cold when in fact you were over heating. Although the weather wasn't hot, it has been incredibly humid these last few days and as I'm sure you know, that plays hell with your ability to shed heat.

It's always possible that you had some other underlying reason for (possibly) overheating as well like a viral infection, gut rot etc..

You could make a good case for support crew carrying a thermometer that can measure your core temperature, one of those in-the-ear jobbies is probably a bit easier that the "bottom-up" approach.

Anyway, clearly it didn't kill you but it must have affected your performance. Next time, I'll sure it'll go much better. Well done for toughing it out and still managing 13th place!

BTW, your wife's description of the shirtless man with nipple tape reminded me that I probably saw you when you were coming down the hill into KLL - I was running/walking up to meet Ian Beattie at the time.

Ah yes I remember you now. Yes I remember being really envious of you as you were just bouncing away full of energy.

The humidity may have been an issue. I do think I overtrained. I had my ML recently and was doing over 7000m of ascent in some weeks. I'd been hiding the fact i wasn't enjoying running, heavy legged etc, all classic symptoms of over training.

Ian had a strong finish, he was only just ahead of me at Lundavra but put 15 minutes on me by Fort William.

Master

Well done Iain a splendid show of tenacity in the face of adversity.

For my part i can`t compete with any of the above i just had a great day out with a super bunch of folk, everybody from Marshalls, support crews, competitors even walkers just made this a great experience for me.

A decision i took between Bridge of Orchy and Kingshouse probably cost me my main goal of Sub 24 (which based on this year i know is on)however i reached my secondary target of sub 28hr by coming in with a time of 27hrs 01min 51secc
    So i am happy and not really suffering any ill effects from the experience not a single blister to show just a little bruising of the feet, and i reckon a week of walking with the dog then i should be able to start running again with the Montrail Rhyader race in august being my next longish outing.

It is for sure that i will be back next year for the WHW sub 24, also a punt at the triple crown could be on.

Well done to all WHW competitors and thank you to Dario and everybody else involved in the organisation and running of this event.
    Last edited by JohnK; 26-06-2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Selling myself short
    The older I get the Faster I was

just read yer blog, sounds immense, cant believe you went so far feeling/needing a shit... which other ultra s have you done, any you would reccomend over others cheers