Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: West Highland Way

Re: West Highland Way Race

For those not in Scotland, here's what's going to be on TV tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...&bbwm=1&nbwm=1

West Highland Way

I have a few days holiday to kill (and absolutely no cash to go anywhere :-)) so I have in mind to run the WHW sometime in the next month or so. Any advice welcome. Also, if anyone else is interested in running it, happy to have company (totally flexible on dates; driving up from south so pick up/drop off possible.)

Re: West Highland Way

I don't know what you know.

I haven't run it - only walked it. 100 miles from Glasgow to Fort William, mostly very good trails - some steep climbs such as the Devil's Staircase, but they're not really too bad.

The weather can be very bad, and Rannoch Moor can be desolate in winter....and in summer.

There are a lot of b and bs along the route, as it is a very big tourist draw in the summer, and it can seem quite crowded, but pretty quiet in the winter.

There is a race - usually on the longest day of the year.

Mike Cudahy writes of his running it in his famous book about running the Pennine Way, which i think is called 'Wild trails to far horizons' - a great read.

You probably know all this. It is a great holiday - good luck.

Hi Bucket,

Have a look at the West Highland Way race forum.

http://pub7.bravenet.com/forum/show....rnum=600310895

There are lots of folk doing training runs over various stretches of it between now and the WHW race (21st June) and you'd be more than welcome to tag along on any of them. The bigger group runs usually have a mix of paces so there'll usually be someone you can run with.

Thanks for that. A useful link. For whatever reason, I'd overlooked it.

I think I'm going to just pitch up at Milngavie (or, I guess, FW) sometime over the next few weeks and run it. Seems not to require any obsessive degree of planning and the route looks pretty straightforward. I figure on two days but if it stretched to three, so be it. I don't have any obsessive goal time-wise or whatever; just want to run it.

Any thoughts on direction (N-S or S-N) welcome but I'm presuming it makes no difference.

Master

Run towards the nicer parts i.e. Milngavie- Fort Bill, i find the first half with the exception of Conic Hill to be pretty mundane especially when done solo (ok as part of a race though).

The second half on leaving Tyndrum is far more appealing and satisfying, tis only my opinion though and i am sure others think differently
    The older I get the Faster I was

I'd agree with John. I've run it both ways but prefer the views from south to north.

Let us know when you're setting off if you want any company. I'm sure some of the local WHW runners would be happy to join you.

West Highland Way 2009

It's likely that entry for the 2009 race (20th June) will be announced shortly. It's likely to fill up quickly so keep an eye on the site if you're interested and don't hang about.

http://www.westhighlandwayrace.org/

Re: West Highland Way 2009

Much as I'd like to have a crack at this race the requirement for motorised back up is likely to always count me out.
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Re: West Highland Way 2009

I'm 50 - 50 on this, seriously tempted for the Lakeland 100 instead. Not sure, would like to keep doing one or so a year, and the WHW is a great event. Oh bugger, wished I'd not seen this..:-)

The WHW upsets my season a bit, whereas the Lakeland 100 fits in better to when we have a bit of a quiet time in the calendar.