Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: West Highland Way

Re: West Highland Way 2009

Presumably the timing of WHW would clash with a lot of people's optimum time time to have a crack at BGR or any of the other 24 hour rounds.
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

General entry is now open. It filled quickly last year and I suspect it'll fill even more quickly this year.

I'd agree it does rather b*gger up one's year for all sorts of other events but I'm unable to resist it's lure.

Emailed for an entry, still not sure. Fancy the Lakes run as it'll be cheaper logistically, but the WHW does have a hell of a lure!

Master

Like Iain i am tempted but i also feel the timing screws up the season, it doe`s have a strongLure admitted, However i have done it now and there is a damned lot i have not done yet
    I am still mulling over an unoficial unsupported Jaunt on the WHW with the same start time etc but maybe later in the year (next year not this) and if anybody fancied joinining me then fine.

A simple case of too many races not enough time i guess.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I've entered..

The only worry is if it clashes with the British Champs. Next year I'm planning to do the Lakeland Classics so Ennerdale may be the week earlier, but if I ran that and had an easy week I think I'll be OK for the WHW.

Dammit, if it wasn't for you lot I wouldn't have emailed for an entry form.

I doubt I'll have the willpower to avoid filling it in.

Well I lasted a couple of hours before caving in, but have now entered.

Master

Looking like other events are having a stronger pull for me so far but who knows.

I'm beginning to think that for popular oversubscribed events like the WHW, Ben Nevis etc, it would be a lot fairer to have a rule whereby you can't enter more than 2 years out of three or even 2 years out of 4.

This would give race addicts a chance to have a year out and DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT! It would also free up a lot of race regulars for marshalling duties and give them a chance to give something back to a race that they may have run many times but not helped in the running of.

This would create more spaces for first time runners and I think we'd probably aggree that all great races need new runners as well as regulars.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    I'm beginning to think that for popular oversubscribed events like the WHW, Ben Nevis etc, it would be a lot fairer to have a rule whereby you can't enter more than 2 years out of three or even 2 years out of 4.

This would give race addicts a chance to have a year out and DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT! It would also free up a lot of race regulars for marshalling duties and give them a chance to give something back to a race that they may have run many times but not helped in the running of.

This would create more spaces for first time runners and I think we'd probably aggree that all great races need new runners as well as regulars.

100% behind you on all of that. for me the adage that variety is the spice of life rules.