Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bob Graham for a novice.

Re: Bob Graham for a novice.

Buying the beers will depend on how many of you are going

Haven't fixed a time yet, but probably setting off 7ish from Keswick on the Saturday.

Estimates range from 3 - 12 thirsty travellers

I will bring a hip flask then

Well, just covered 20 miles today, Took me 3hrs 14 minutes. My main aim was not to walk, which I acheived. Wished I had took some bloody water though, was a bit thirsty by the time I got back!!
    Some roads, some cross country and some very small not very steep hills. Bloody windy though I was having to practically sprint sometimes just to keep moving forward!!
    Wanted to put the miles in so I am ready for the tattenshall recce on the 5th April (dont want to be a burden to the proper fell runners).
    Found it ok cardio wise, heart and lungs were fine, everything from the hips down was a different matter though!! A little bit achey in places that I forgot exsited.
    Told the missus that I would be a bit stiff in the morning, but I dont think she understood quite what I meant

I also would like to do the BGR one day and also hanker after doing the Paddy Buckley Round. Getting enough training in on the right sort of terrain and my poor descending would count against me most, oh and ravages of time
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Hi Jim, Corniceman

I might be interested in doing something on the weekend of 26 April so keep me posted. I'm running in the London Marathon on 13 April so I can't do anything before then, and I'll probably need the 20 April weekend to recover.

I'm supporting another runner on the Joss Naylor Challenge, which we're planning for the weekend of 14 June, and I'm thinking of having a go at the BGR in 2009. I've got a couple of runners from my local running club interested as well. Our biggest problem though is the shortage of hills in Cambridgeshire

Hi mxhornet

It sounds like you suffer from the same problem as me - not enough hills nearby to train on. How far have you got with preparing for a BGR attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    Good luck to you fella. have you read Richard Askwith feet in the clouds ? Good for inspiration , also if u can get it Mike Cudahys Wild Trails to far horizons
    Mike Cudahys book is a superb read and i cannot think of many other books that would encourage those fit enough to get out into the hills.

He took several failed attempts before setting his Penine Way sun 3 day record.

The famous Tan Hill to Cat and Fiddle traverse ie Englands two highest pubs,only 125 miles but his time was incredible.

His Coast to Coast record achieved after consecutive 250+ mile training weeks.

A book that is written in a style you will either love or hate but for inspiration on the Bob Graham epecially the books superb.